How does your Deere Ride on a bumpy lawn?

RandyH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I own a X720 with HDAP tires. My mower rides very rough for such a expensive mower. Could there be anything I am doing wrong.
I have lowered the tire pressure down to 5 pounds in the rear I have the special edition seat where you dial your weight in. It did not seem
like it had any bouncy effect almost seemed like it was not doing anything so even though I weigh 230 I set it way down to 150 and it now seems
to give a little but the mower just rides rough still. The only thing I can think to try next is changing the HDAP tires over to turf tires.

I was wondering if anyone thinks that would help my ride? I can't figure this out because I have another big box store 25hp Scotts model 2548
that seems to take the bumps better then my JD. It has just a regular seat with 2 springs but the seat seems to absorb the shocks better then the 600.00
John Deere seat does. Don't know what to do as my 4 year warrantee is now up on the X720 and the whole reason I bought it was to get a better ride.
Since it did not do this I can trade it for another model a smaller X590 is what I am thinking on trading for. 2 reasons. I can get a new 4 year warrantee a new mower with not much out of pocket but I would be giving up the 62 inch cut for a 54 inch cut and back to belt drive on the deck.

I really love the 700 series but since I can get a good trade now I am not sure what to do. So I guess I am asking others that have a bumpy lawn what model mower do you have and how does it ride for you. My X720 I feel like I am riding a bucking bronco if I go much faster then a creep while mowing.
Sorry this is so long! Any advise would be greatly appreciated I have pictures of my mower in the photos section. Thanks!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I own a X720 with HDAP tires. My mower rides very rough for such a expensive mower. Could there be anything I am doing wrong.
I have lowered the tire pressure down to 5 pounds in the rear I have the special edition seat where you dial your weight in. It did not seem
like it had any bouncy effect almost seemed like it was not doing anything so even though I weigh 230 I set it way down to 150 and it now seems
to give a little but the mower just rides rough still. The only thing I can think to try next is changing the HDAP tires over to turf tires.

I was wondering if anyone thinks that would help my ride? I can't figure this out because I have another big box store 25hp Scotts model 2548
that seems to take the bumps better then my JD. It has just a regular seat with 2 springs but the seat seems to absorb the shocks better then the 600.00
John Deere seat does. Don't know what to do as my 4 year warrantee is now up on the X720 and the whole reason I bought it was to get a better ride.
Since it did not do this I can trade it for another model a smaller X590 is what I am thinking on trading for. 2 reasons. I can get a new 4 year warrantee a new mower with not much out of pocket but I would be giving up the 62 inch cut for a 54 inch cut and back to belt drive on the deck.

I really love the 700 series but since I can get a good trade now I am not sure what to do. So I guess I am asking others that have a bumpy lawn what model mower do you have and how does it ride for you. My X720 I feel like I am riding a bucking bronco if I go much faster then a creep while mowing.
Sorry this is so long! Any advise would be greatly appreciated I have pictures of my mower in the photos section. Thanks!

Trade it for a ferris if you want a great riding mower. An is2100 with a 61" deck will give the best ride of any mower you have ever sat on and will mow much faster than a tractor. Priced around $9k.

RandyH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trade it for a ferris if you want a great riding mower. An is2100 with a 61" deck will give the best ride of any mower you have ever sat on and will mow much faster than a tractor. Priced around $9k.

Thank You! I am checking this mower now getting quotes! Wow I paid more for my JD and it still kills my back. The local Ferris dealer here I just talked to about this mower says that Ferris has a patent on the shock absorber ride technology that is why other mowers don't have it! They said it is the best quality ride you can buy! I am going to go check it out! Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes! :thumbsup:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You! I am checking this mower now getting quotes! Wow I paid more for my JD and it still kills my back. The local Ferris dealer here I just talked to about this mower says that Ferris has a patent on the shock absorber ride technology that is why other mowers don't have it! They said it is the best quality ride you can buy! I am going to go check it out! Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes! :thumbsup:

If you want an even smoother ride get the dealer to throw a suspension seat in as well. The independent suspension plus the suspension seat will take just about all of the bumps out of your lawn. I can tell you from experience that there isn't a better riding mower out there. I know someone with an is2100 and someone with an is500. The is2100 is the best riding mower I have ever been on. Hopefully my wife will let me trade for one some day. As of now mine is paid for and runs great. Post some pictures of whatever mower you decide on and let us know what led you to your choice.

javjacob

Threads
You need to fix your lawn. It doesn't matter how good your tractor rides if your lawn is rough you will get a rough ride. You can get a suspension seat and add weight to the tractor to smooth out the ride also. I would keep the JD X720 and fix the real problem or you will still be complaining about how rough your new mower rides.

1striper1

Threads
You need to fix your lawn. It doesn't matter how good your tractor rides if your lawn is rough you will get a rough ride. You can get a suspension seat and add weight to the tractor to smooth out the ride also. I would keep the JD X720 and fix the real problem or you will still be complaining about how rough your new mower rides.

I wish I could afford to "fix" my 2.75 acres of bumpy lawn. A ZTR with an air ride seat (Puffer insert or Milsco/Grammer air seat) will ride better than his 700 series tractor. That is a BIG garden tractor. A 2100 and above Ferris ZTR will ride better as well.