How do I remove clutch?

cngizbleevng

Threads
I'm having trouble with our clutch that engages the blades. Lately, it is not engaging the blades right away--sometimes I have to drive the mower around and suddenly they will engage.

I took out the shim hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't. The electrical wiring looks good and voltage is correct.

I'm now under the mower and trying to remove the clutch to replace it. I've got the belts off, the main bolt is removed, and the bracket that keeps the clutch from spinning is removed.

Was expecting at this point to simply pull the clutch down and off but it doesn't want to budge. Do I need some sort of special tool or do I have to loosen something above the deck? I'm at a loss.

Richie F

Threads
If the clutch is on a straight shaft, prying on the back of it and hitting the mounting bolt for it should help shock it off.

cngizbleevng

Threads
Ugghh, I got the old clutch off, but my replacement clutch has the bearing upside down and isn't compatible. :rolleyes:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
where'd you order it from. might try Xtreme clutches.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ugghh, I got the old clutch off, but my replacement clutch has the bearing upside down and isn't compatible. :rolleyes:
Can you post a picture of both the old and new clutch. I have seen a few that have the double flat plug with the bolt hole in it be on the wrong end and in some cases you can remove it and stick in into the opposite end. The thing you have to watch is make sure is that the clutch friction disc is set up to turn the correct direction because if you get it backwards it will destroy itself in short order.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many of the hustler mowers have adjustable PTO clutches. If your has 3 nuts on springs on the outside edge of the clutch it is adjustable. If you can adjust the gap it will probably fix the original clutch.