How bad is it on the east coast

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Heard of alot of snow and about 3 million without power.:eek: Is everyone ok on the eastern seaboard?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here in WNY, it's sunny and in the mid - 50's. Got a little snow over the weekend, but just a dusting.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here in WNY, it's sunny and in the mid - 50's. Got a little snow over the weekend, but just a dusting.

Glad to here that and you Bills won also, so you must of had a good weekend.:thumbsup::biggrin:

Wayne195

Threads
We had our power our for over 24 hours from Saturday noon to after Sunday noon, but we happened to have a generator around here for the refrigerators and freezers so we didn't make out too bad.

cubby

Threads
Heard of alot of snow and about 3 million without power.:eek: Is everyone ok on the eastern seaboard?

Just got our power back on after 6 days with out it. We got 16-19 inches of heavy wet snow. My wife
and I were in Washington D.C. this past weekend to watch our daughter run in the Marine Corps
Marathon, it was her very first so we wanted to be there to support her. She ran for the American
Cancer Society. She finished in 5 hours and 40 minutes, were very proud and she raised a lot of money.
She is only 25 years old and did this all on her own.

During the day on Saturday we had my nephew go to our house to take care of our two dogs and
6 cats. That afternoon he called me to say that it was snowing very hard and the power had just gone
out but the animals were fine. The next day on Sunday he called to tell me he couldn't get to my house because trees on my street had broken and fell blocking the road. He walked to the house to
check on the animals and they were fine still no power. He came back later with his Dad my brother
and cut up some of the small trees to get to our driveway. They wanted to make sure when we got back that we could get to our house. I can't thank them enough.

We left D.C. around 5 pm Sunday and got home around midnight. A lot of the local roads were closed
due to downed trees and power lines which made it harder to even get to our house. Everywhere
was dark and eerie like. The house was cold so I started a fire in the fireplace and we slept in front
of it that night. On Monday I went outside to see all the damage. It looked like all hell broke loose. All
our nice ornamental trees and bushes were damaged , the big oaks and hickory trees had limbs 8-10
inches around broke 3/4 of the way up just hanging waiting to fall. One was hanging over my power
lines so I got my old backhoe and raised the front bucket high enough to climb on to to push the wires
over to one side then I cut the whole tree down. Were lucky nothing fell on the house. I spent the whole day just cutting trees out of the way, still have to clean them out of the yard.

As for power I have a miller Bobcat welder with an 8500 watt generator. About 8 yrs ago I bought a
transfer switch and 50 ft of cord from our local Grainger store and installed it my self. It capable of
powering up to 6 circuits. I got the heat, water pump, kitchen, bathroom and TV wired in. Its amazing
the cable TV still worked. I had to buy a new battery for the welder, It hadn't been started in two yrs.
It ran like a champ even with the 2 yr old gas in it that didn't have any stabil in it, amazing! Before I
had the welder the power used to go out every 10 seconds it seemed after I bought it and installed
the transfer switch it only went out once till now. We only used it when we absolutely needed it.

My yard was starting to look nice again till Hurricane Irene hit then a month later a tropical storm hit
and we had floods all over again and then another month this snow storm. Monday I still had 10 inches of snow on my roof. I'll be cleaning up for a long time and I oh yeah I gotta rake leaves yet:laughing:. I'm sure a lot of people had it worse than me. for them i feel bad.

Again I want to thank my nephew and my brother and most especially how proud I am of my daughter
Jennifer for her commitment and determination......cubby

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I want to thank my nephew and my brother and most especially how proud I am of my daughter
Jennifer for her commitment and determination......cubby

Congrats...
Oh... and you will be able to get to your leaves soon... I'm sure... :smile:KennyV

cubby

Threads
Congrats...
Oh... and you will be able to get to your leaves soon... I'm sure... :smile:KennyV

Thanks Kenny, I worked yesterday but today I got a chance to start my clean up from the snow storm.
There's still a few spots of snow in my yard but I was able to clean up a lot of the broken limbs and
yes I got to rake leaves. Its just my luck that I was able to buy the clam shell dump system for my tiger
cub but can't use it until all the snow is gone and the mess is cleaned up. The ground is very wet still
and I'm afraid the cub will get stuck or sink in some of the low spots in the yard where water collects.
I guess those two rakes of mine don't want me to retire them just yet.:smile:

PS... I wish JD was still around so I could tell him I bought the collection system for the cub with all that money I got when I junked those two dump trucks and pickup truck.:laughing: ....cubby