Honda mower - can only pull cord part-way

mower-newbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new to the world of engines. I have a used Honda HRR216VKA. It was working fine, when I stopped the engine to change the wheel height. Afterwards, the engine wouldnt start. The cord pulls part way, then stops. Things I've tried so far:
- Removed the starter coil housing to make sure the rope pulls freely when disengaged from the engine. It does.
- Checked that the nut inside the starter coil housing is tight.
- Checked that there is enough gas. (It's a few weeks old)
- Checked the oil. It is at the higher of the two marks. I don't know how old it is.
- Checked that nothing is stuck in the blades.
- Removed the spark plug & pulled the cord a few times to see if there was oil in there -- nothing came out. The cord pulls easily and completely when the spark plug is out. As soon as I put the plug back in, the problem reoccurs.
- Put in a new spark plug.
- Checked the filter.
- Verified that the cord doesn't pull at all when the handle isn't pressed down.

The blades are not easy to turn by hand, but I've never tried to do that before, so maybe they're meant to be that way?

Any other ideas?

My only other observation is that there is a bit of something (maybe fishing line) stuck in the cylinder thingy near where the blades connect to the engine. I tried pulling it out but it's stuck good. The only way I can imagine getting it out would be to dissemble everything underneath the decking. Is this likely my problem? I don't want to go to all that trouble if there are easier things to try first. Thank you!

shurguywutt

Threads
It makes sense because when you take the plug out you remove the vacuum in the engine. This removes enough friction to allow the engine to turn over even with the added resistance of the fishing line or whatever you have stuck in the shaft. Try to work the line off with the plug removed, this might make it easier (and safer) to remove the line.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the blades, blade adapter, and pulley. Remove the monofilament. Reassemble everything and then try it.

mower-newbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
It makes sense because when you take the plug out you remove the vacuum in the engine. This removes enough friction to allow the engine to turn over even with the added resistance of the fishing line or whatever you have stuck in the shaft. Try to work the line off with the plug removed, this might make it easier (and safer) to remove the line.
Thanks! I think I might've already tried this with the plug out, but I'm not sure, so I'll try again when I get home today. Thanks for explaining about the vacuum, that helps me understand better. Have a great day!