Honda HRX217 ignition coil question

Capone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there!

I have an ignition coil question. I have an HRX217TDC SN= 1147334. I was able to get my hands on a brand new ignition coil (friend got rid of his hrx217), P/N = 30500-Z8B-903. My ignition coil looked pretty beat up (previous owner left the machine outside winter after winter). When I lookup my model I see three different part numbers for the ignition coil and one of them is the part I have. Can I use that part on my mower? Are the three part numbers interchangable? Does it matter which one I use?

I can't seem to find the answer on google... any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Honda Tech

Threads
Yes, all the previous part numbers supercede to your part number providing I guessed your product code correctly. MAGA-1147334?? Product code is very important for Honda parts.

Capone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply! :) Yes, my serial is MAGA-1147334. The part number that on the mower currently is: 30500-Z0J-003.... Also, I have to be mindful of the orientation of the coil...because it is possible to instal it upside down? It seems that it would fit either way.

Honda Tech

Threads
Thanks for the reply! :) Yes, my serial is MAGA-1147334. The part number that on the mower currently is: 30500-Z0J-003.... Also, I have to be mindful of the orientation of the coil...because it is possible to instal it upside down? It seems that it would fit either way.
That is the correct coil, but the part number has superceded a couple times since. The current part number is 30500-Z8B-903. Yes, you could install the coil upside down. When installing the coil, the heavy lead wire that goes to the spark plug should be facing you (top).
Good Luck!

Capone

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is the correct coil, but the part number has superceded a couple times since. The current part number is 30500-Z8B-903. Yes, you could install the coil upside down. When installing the coil, the heavy lead wire that goes to the spark plug should be facing you (top).
Good Luck!

Thanks for the info about the coil and the part number ... how does one tell which is the 'latest' part number?

Honda Tech

Threads
Thanks for the info about the coil and the part number ... how does one tell which is the 'latest' part number?
Usually, but not always, you may see the last six characters of the part number molded or stamped into the coil. Sometimes the part number changes due to an improvement and sometimes it's just because.