Honda HRT 216 self propel slowing down

Dgmacd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi my name is Daniel and I need some advise. I let my brother in law use my lawn mower about a month ago. He said it worked fine, but when I used it the next day or so the self propel conked out completely. The belt was loose so I was pretty sure that the belt just fell off. And then about a week later the wheels would not rotate backwards. I finally got around to fixing it a couple days ago. I put the belt back on and tried it out, it seemed to work fine but it fell off. I put the belt on again and it didn't fall off. But there seems to be a lot of idk resistance. It doesn't put very much power out at all. If I hold it back the wheels just stop, when they used to just spin out. Does that sound like a lube problem, a belt tension problem or warn out self propel? A guy that I used to work for has a mower that seems to have the same problem. The wheels still do not rotate backwards. I'd appreciate some input on the subject. Thanks

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The wheels still do not rotate backwards. I'd appreciate some input on the subject. Thanks

Hi Daniel:

Let's start with the serial number off the back of the mower deck; look for a lab

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Share the serial number with me and I'll post some troubleshooting help for your model.

Dgmacd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Daniel:

Let's start with the serial number off the back of the mower deck; look for a lab

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Share the serial number with me and I'll post some troubleshooting help for your model.

The seiral number is MZCG 6116913

Dgmacd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I have an update. The problem with the self propell slowing down has been progressively getting better. But the problem with the wheels not going backwards is still just as annoying. There is a rachetty squeak when I push the mower without engaging the self proplell that is getting louder. Is there some way I can oil that? Thanks

Threads
Ok I have an update. The problem with the self propell slowing down has been progressively getting better. But the problem with the wheels not going backwards is still just as annoying. There is a rachetty squeak when I push the mower without engaging the self proplell that is getting louder. Is there some way I can oil that? Thanks

If the problem with the squeaky wheels is like the problem described in the following thread, read the solution in post #14 of the thread:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/honda-forum/11978-major-problem-super-squeaky-wheels.html

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

Take the wheel of and spray lots of white lithium grease in there. And try to adjust the cable it might be to tight.

Dgmacd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Threads
It sounds a kind of similar, but the the solution was to bring it to a shop. I would much rather attempt/fix it myself

We didn't have to take it in to the shop!!! This is what we did: we put 3-in-1 oil in the right axle bushing. And it worked.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
We didn't have to take it in to the shop!!! This is what we did: we put 3-in-1 oil in the right axle bushing. And it worked.

Amazing what a little lube can do ehh? I like white lithium grease mostly because its pressurized and the stray helps it get into small spaces