Honda HRR2162SDA Self Propelled Moves Slow

GAVolunteer

Threads
HRR2162SDA
MZCG-6943463

This has a one-speed transmission. When I engage the clutch cable, the wheels turn but the mower moves very slow. It will go up a hill, but, again, slowly.

I've worked on this model before and the problem was the clutch cable had "stretched". Replacing the cable fixed the problem.

However, I recently spent hours working on an HRR216K5VKA with a similar problem. I replaced the clutch cable and repaired the Smart Drive only to find out that the problem was the control arm on the transmission was hitting the transmission case because the transmission was worn out. The only solution was to replace the transmission. Here's the thread HRR216K5VKA

Are there any adjustments to the clutch cable on this model? I have not seen any. That is an adjustment nut on the back of the mower under the Discharge Guard. I turned this clockwise numerous turns, but it had no effect.

I checked the control arm on the transmission that is attached to the clutch cable. The control arm is not hitting any part of the transmission. With a screwdriver, I could push the control arm towards the transmission about 1". So it would appear that a new clutch cable would engage the control arm more. But there may be other problems I am missing

Questions:
1. Is there a way to adjust the clutch cable?
2. What are the troubleshooting steps to determine why the mower moves slowly when the clutch is engaged?
3. What does tightening the nut under the Discharge Guard (which is attached to a spring near the pulley) supposed to do?

Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
HRR2162SDA

Questions:
1. Is there a way to adjust the clutch cable?
2. What are the troubleshooting steps to determine why the mower moves slowly when the clutch is engaged?
3. What does tightening the nut under the Discharge Guard (which is attached to a spring near the pulley) supposed to do?

Thanks.

You can adjust the freeplay in the clutch lever by moving the position of the clutch cable in the holder/clamp on the left-side handlebar. Adjust so there no more than 5mm (0.2 inch) of freeplay in the lever.

Belt excessively worn or slipping, debris/dirt around rear wheels, missing/incorrectly installed tension spring parts, or internal fault in the trans. are the usual suspects when self-propel is poor/ineffective.

The long bolt (parallel to the ground) is used to hold the belt tensioner spring. This compensates for belt wear/stretching and ensures the belt is kept tight around the pulleys on the crankshaft and transmission.

hrr216%20tensioner%20bolt_zpsohhsdebg.jpg

GAVolunteer

Threads
Robert. Thanks for the response.

HRR2162SDA MZCG-6943463

Can you tell the age of the mower by the serial number?

You can adjust the freeplay in the clutch lever by moving the position of the clutch cable in the holder/clamp on the left-side handlebar. Adjust so there no more than 5mm (0.2 inch) of freeplay in the lever.

I did this and it helped a little, but still slow.

The long bolt (parallel to the ground) is used to hold the belt tensioner spring. This compensates for belt wear/stretching and ensures the belt is kept tight around the pulleys on the crankshaft and transmission.

The tension bolt is screwed in completely so that the spring is completely compressed and the threads between the nut and the spring are at the maximum.

Belt excessively worn or slipping.

Is there a way to determine if a belt needs replacing? It does not seem to be "frayed". However, I doubt the belt has ever been changed. So, replacing the belt seems the next logical step.

thoughts?

GAVolunteer

Threads
Update. Mower self propelled still slow.

Originally Posted by robert@honda

Belt excessively worn or slipping, debris/dirt around rear wheels, missing/incorrectly installed tension spring parts, or internal fault in the trans. are the usual suspects when self-propel is poor/ineffective.

I replaced the belt. I adjusted the tensioner spring so that belt is as tight as possible around the pulleys. I also adjusted the clutch cable in the holder clamp on the handlebar. Speed improved slightly, but still pretty slow. There is no dirt around the rear wheels.

Other than a worn out transmission, anything else to check?

Thanks

Robert

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Other than a worn out transmission, anything else to check?

Bench test the trans. and confirm it is or is not slipping internally?

Double check the input pulley and confirm the roll pin is fitted properly...

hrr%20sda%20trans_zpsoy0difd9.jpg

FYI, a new trans. is not too bad, $51.32 list: 20001-VG4-C02 There are no internal service parts from Honda for this trans.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the procedure for bench testing the transmission?

Thanks for all of the info and help.

No official procedure, but how about clamping it up in a vise, locking down the control arm, then spin the input pulley. Confirm the shaft turns okay and doesn't slip.