Honda GX160 high rpm

Jwilson22071

Threads
Honda GX160 GCBPT-1529129 QXE2- came in on a air compressor. Would not run. Cleaned the carb- set the valves. Fires up 1st pull - but the rpm's go thru the roof. Decided the governor gear was toast. Got a new one and cracked the housing. Old governor gear and weights looked fine. Went ahead and put new ones on since I was already there. Could not get old governor rod out without pulling the crank so I left it. Put everything back together. Fired it up .... same thing high rpm's. Swapped out for a new carb. Rechecked valve lash . Adjusted governor towards the carb and turned rod clockwise. Still revs up full tilt and will not idle down unless I push the throttle rod over. Have even adjusted governor counter-clockwise with no success. Any ideas?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I believe your supposed to turn the governor shaft Clock wise, while holding the throttle link at wide open throttle.

Jwilson22071

Threads
I believe your supposed to turn the governor shaft Clock wise, while holding the throttle link at wide open throttle.
That's what I did but I figured it out.... damn slider fell of the gear pin when I was putting it together. What happens when you get in a hurry. Fixed now though and running good. Thanks