Honda GCV 160 A1AE carb issues

71 911E

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went to start up my old (form 2003) Craftsman walk-behind yesterday, filled up the tank, turned on the fuel line shut-off and pushed it out of the workshop. By the time I got it outside there was fuel running out of the carb onto the deck and dripping on the ground, I didn't start it because I didn't want to risk becoming the Human Torch. So I got my trusty 10mm socket and ratchet out, disassembled and cleaned everything, and reassembled it. No more leaks after I turned on the fuel line, so I started it. Fired up on the second pull, but it was running at about 10K rpm. Shut it down, checked whether fuel was getting to the carb, it was. Tried one more time, same bad result. From my limited knowledge I figured it was running extremely lean and I didn't want to burn the engine up.

The engine is a Honda GCV 160 A1AE. It's been running fine since I cleaned it up for use, and I've used it 5 or 6 times with no issues. I've had issues with the carb since the mower was about 18 months old, and have replaced it 4 times, total. Most times it's been the float, which costs almost as much as the whole carb, would this explain the issues I described? I'd like to know if there's a quick fix before I order $35 worth of parts.

Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Gas dumping out everywhere is a symptom of a faulty float needle or float. as far as over speeding, is always the governor NOT governing the engine.. i would check to be sure you hooked up the linkage correctly.
gas dumping out sometimes can be caused by small debris from the tank or deteriorating fuel line holding the needle open enough to cause fuel flow by. Check your engine oil for gas diltuion as well.
If the linkage is correct, i would start by adjusting the governor.
Written instructions as well as pictures https://cf.hondappsv.com/files/OP/OP000011GLOBAL/2010_11_08 General GCV135_160_190 GSV190 Engine Adjustment I.pdf
don't worry about torquing to 7ft lbs, just get it good and snug with a box end wrench... which may be close to 7 ft lbs.

Born2Mow

Threads
Check your engine oil for gas diltuion as well.
What he meant was "dilution".
When this event happens, gas can enter the crankcase, then dilute the engine oil, and then, due to greatly reduced lubrication... the engine burns itself up. Pull the dipstick and smell the crankcase. If there is ANY doubt, change the oil before running the engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would pull the dipstick and smell IT. Not the crankcase LOL. Just joking around LOL. :)

slomo