Honda EX650 has no spark

Zig

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've loved my little generator until this year. No spark. This is what I've tried so far... removed casing and exposed the coil and flywheel. Everything looked good. Cleaned off the small amount of rust on the magnetic flywheel pickup (has pretty good magnetic pull). Checked the air gap looked good. If I ground the plug I can feel just a small amount of shock with my finger on the end of the plug when I spin the flywheel. Checked the oil level as it has an alert system. I got one visible spark from the plug in all the checks I did.

I would be happy to purchase a new coil if I new for sure it was the problem, but, I have also read people who have had the same issue and replaced the coil with no success.

Is there any way to check the plug end of the wire for a short? I am assuming that if I am getting any sort of jolt the wire should be intact?

bwdbrn1

Threads
I wouldn't recommend checking the spark with your finger. If it decides to work as it should, you'll get more than a jolt! If you weren't a swearing man before, you will be when it kicks in. Best way to check for spark is to remove the plug from the cylinder, plug it into the plug wire, then, while grasping the plug wire, hold the end of the plug solidly against a metal part of the engine or generator frame. The pull the starter cord and watch the end of the plug for spark. I'd check the wiring from the on/off switch, or how ever you turn it on and off, to make sure the connections are good and nothing has been chewed on by critters that like to chew on insulation that might be causing it to short out. You might try a brand new spark plug too. Don't ask me why, but these things get gremlins in them and just sort of quit sparking, and a new plug is a lot cheaper than a new coil if it does the trick.

Zig

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks bwdbrn1. I totally understand about touching the plug, been zapped before, not fun. I only checked it quickly after I couldn't see a spark. No sense in needlessly curling my hair. I bought a new plug today with no difference. I looked at the start knob. There are some wires coming off of it and they terminate at a small rectangle plastic component. Is this what people call a pulse generator? Is there a way to check these?

Suggestions? Is it time for a new coil?:frown:

bwdbrn1

Threads
Sorry to hear the new plug didn't do the trick. Boy, you got me as to what that box is. I have to admit that I'd have to buy the latest edition of "Ignitions for Dummies" to even begin to know how the electrical stuff all works. My next step would be to talk to my local Honda dealer. The guy here is good about helping out with questions I have, so maybe yours could give you a bit of advise before you go spending too much time and money.

jc56

Threads
Just idea....have you checked your kill switch or whatever kind of on/off switch that you have?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
OK, the obvious problem would be the coil, but it could also be the switch which allows the engine to ignite or not has stuck in the OFF position.

By the sounds of it though, and if the switch works as it should, I'd replace the coil.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would take the little wire off the coil so that the coil is not part of the kill switch anymore then see if you have spark If you do then you know it is a bad wire or switch

Sent from my iPhone using LMF