HONDA 4514 OPINIONS

jackcu

Threads
I am looking a t a non-running 4514 fo rabout 200.00. It will turn over but not run. I have fixed many riders but I am NOT familiar with this machine at all. Considering buying to fix and use. Any opinions out there?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The good thing is the only difference in this mower than most mowers is Honda name on the mower. I hate to sound like a broken record but it is probably a dirty\water in carb.

redmondjp

Threads
I just bought the same machine (non-running at the time but it is now), also for $200, a couple of weekends ago, as a parts machine for my own 4514. If you do some online searches you can find plenty of information on this model. It's a well-built machine with far higher quality (think 1990s Honda cars) than box-store mowers, BUT parts are expensive, and some are NLA (No Longer Available). Water-cooled engine that has a timing belt and water pump. Some engine parts (E.G. radiator, water pump, starter, etc) are actually significantly more expensive than those for my 1997 Civic car! And just like on a car, if you run one hot you can blow the head gasket, or fail a timing belt and bend the valves.

So it could be something simple and you could be up and mowing, or you could be looking at a high-3-figure repair bill before you have a reliable machine (no way to tell w/o a thorough inspection). Does it have spark? If not, I'd check the functionality of the safety module (not the correct term, also a NLA part, it's the module that ties into all of the safety switches and also provides a 9-second fuel cutoff upon shutdown).

I just mowed 1.5 acres with mine (it's really too small for this amount of area with the 38" deck but oh well - more seat time!) last week and I love it. The deck has an amazing amount of suction which actually can be detrimental if you are mowing over any rocky/gravel areas on the fringes (with the hydrostatic trans you need to keep the engine speed at maximum, so you can't really idle down to slow the blades down when driving over these areas).

Good luck, with whatever you decide. My advice, if you really want this machine, is to wait for one in excellent condition (which will cost you a bit more) - they are out there. I bought mine from the original owner, it was serviced over its entire life by the selling dealer, and it was always stored indoors.