Help! Zero Turn shuts off after starting

TimBar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ferris 2561T Zero Turn, worked perfectly fine. One day I tried starting it, it started as usual ran 2-3 secs then shut off. I check the oil, it was low. I added oil. Started right up and fine since. I noticed that the machine started creeping lately, so I adjusted the control arm. Went to start it and it started ran for 2 secs and shut down. Oil level is fine. Just changed oil and filter last week. Could the oil sentry sensor be shot? If so, where the hell is it? Can't find it. Could it have something to do with the control arm adjustment? Is there a sensor in the tranny that say unless that arm is perfect it will shut off? I checked the lever switches, held the seat with down to start it, same thing runs then dies. what did I miss, carb is clean, fuel filter is new. Help!!! Grass near 4"!!!:confused2:

Also dropped carb bowl, cleaned it out, looked good. Bloew out fuel line and checked float, worked perfectly. I'm thinking its a safety switch but have not idea where to look.

Last edited:

Jondee

Threads
The ''start'' circuit and the ''run'' circuit are normally 2 different circuits. Make sure you are maintaining power in the "run" circuit before you do anything else.
Ferris 2561T Zero Turn, worked perfectly fine. One day I tried starting it, it started as usual ran 2-3 secs then shut off. I check the oil, it was low. I added oil. Started right up and fine since. I noticed that the machine started creeping lately, so I adjusted the control arm. Went to start it and it started ran for 2 secs and shut down. Oil level is fine. Just changed oil and filter last week. Could the oil sentry sensor be shot? If so, where the hell is it? Can't find it. Could it have something to do with the control arm adjustment? Is there a sensor in the tranny that say unless that arm is perfect it will shut off? I checked the lever switches, held the seat with down to start it, same thing runs then dies. what did I miss, carb is clean, fuel filter is new. Help!!! Grass near 4"!!!:confused2:

Also dropped carb bowl, cleaned it out, looked good. Bloew out fuel line and checked float, worked perfectly. I'm thinking its a safety switch but have not idea where to look.

TimBar

Forum Newbie
Threads
The ''start'' circuit and the ''run'' circuit are normally 2 different circuits. Make sure you are maintaining power in the "run" circuit before you do anything else.

Is there a cutoff switch somewhere in the "run" circuit that could be failing? If the oil pressure sensor is bad, can it cause this?

Jondee

Threads
There should never be any kind of cut-off switch in the circuit; that's what the ignition key is for. I wanted to ask you at first what kind of repair manual or documentation you were following to do the repair overhaul. I get the impression that you have none. If this is true the first thing I would do is go online and find some repair manual that will guide you in looking for your problem(s). Without a guide of some sort a person doesn't know where to start. The oil sensor question; I guess it could; again without a wiring diagram it would be hard for anyone to tell. TRY THIS. Check for power at the motor, 1) with the key off. 2) with the key in the start circuit. 3) with the key in the run circuit. See what those tests show.
Is there a cutoff switch somewhere in the "run" circuit that could be failing? If the oil pressure sensor is bad, can it cause this?

TimBar

Forum Newbie
Threads
There should never be any kind of cut-off switch in the circuit; that's what the ignition key is for. I wanted to ask you at first what kind of repair manual or documentation you were following to do the repair overhaul. I get the impression that you have none. If this is true the first thing I would do is go online and find some repair manual that will guide you in looking for your problem(s). Without a guide of some sort a person doesn't know where to start. The oil sensor question; I guess it could; again without a wiring diagram it would be hard for anyone to tell. TRY THIS. Check for power at the motor, 1) with the key off. 2) with the key in the start circuit. 3) with the key in the run circuit. See what those tests show.

Just found the problem. I replaces ignition switch but it wasn't that. I monkeyed with the fuses. Apparently it is a bad fuse block. It oxidized inside the terminals. I brushed with a wire brush and it now stays running! Was frustrating! Thanks all for your help! Great forum!

gregjo1948

Threads
Just found the problem. I replaces ignition switch but it wasn't that. I monkeyed with the fuses. Apparently it is a bad fuse block. It oxidized inside the terminals. I brushed with a wire brush and it now stays running! Was frustrating! Thanks all for your help! Great forum!

I replaced the fuse block in my old Z with 2 in line fuses that I can easily get to. gregjo1948