Help me make a decision

marchboom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will be buying a new Honda mower to take on a 12,000 sq. ft. bluegrass lawn. I have narrowed it down to the HRX217VYA and the HRX217HYA mowers, The only difference is the rear wheel engagement method and the hand controls. Is the Hydrostatic Cruise Control a better system? Also, on the HRX217VYA mower the Select Drive actuation lever appears to be a convenient way to increase and decrease the walking speed compared to adjusting the mower speed with the lever next to the throttle.

BTW, I do have some hills to traverse.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I want to get the right mower the first time.

Thanks

Last edited:

Honda Tech

Threads
They are both excellent choices. The HYA is a Hydrostatic Drive and will be smoother operating and very dependable. The VYA is a Variable Speed drive system and as you mentioned, is easy to set your pace with. But as you may know, once you start mowing at a comfortable pace, you tend to stay at that pace.
I personally prefer the hydro drive as there are fewer moving parts overall, which tends to make it more dependable. Overall, either is a very good choice.