Help for Z520a Zero Turn Lug Bolt replacement

peterkerwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings. New to the forum, first post. Thanks for reading.
I've owned a Z520a for 11 or so years and have had few problems other than the stiff ride on my back.
This spring I noticed I had lost 2 lug nuts off the left rear rim and the others were apparently loose as the rim holes were spreading. I pulled one lug nut off the right side to get by and ordered a set of replacement lug nuts from Green Farm Parts. I recall replacing the tire a few years ago and likely didn't tighten them to spec.
Anyway today I jacked the mower up and attempted to pull off the existing lug nuts and ended up breaking two of the lug bolts off. I guess the rim must have damaged the bolts and when I tried to force them off they snapped the bolt instead. See picture attached.
I found a YouTube video of someone replacing the lug bolts but it was on a different JD ZT mower.
520A seems to have a drum and I can't see the back of the lug bolts directly.
I put the tire back on and snugged down 2 lug nuts in the best (least worse) rim holes and just ordered new bolts and a rim from Green Farm Parts.

Hopefully I can get by for a week or two with 2 lug nuts while I wait for the parts to arrive.

From watching a video online it appears I need to push the broken lug bolts back into the hub and push new ones through. It looks like there is some cover on the front (drum?) and one on the back and there is also an arm with a spring on it (brake?) that I am unsure what to do with. There is a big nut on the front but it is not clear if that holds the drum on.

Does anyone have any experience replacing these lug bolts?
Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

IMG_5261a.jpgIMG_5262a.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Exactly the same as on your car / truck
Take the hub off.
Tap the old ones out
Tap the new ones in.
Some times you need to put some washers on there and do the nuts up to pull the stud into the hub tight
Dont overtighten them.
IT is a lawnmower not a 200 ton mine dump truck