*Help* Engine Locked Up After High Rev

Threads
Hello All! I need some help here. I've got a 30" Snapper RER that has a B&S 287707-0225-01 (14.5hp) OHV engine on it. I bought it second-hand off FB and have been 'overhauling' it the past month or so. Yesterday, I just had gotten to the point where I could fire it up and get the carb adjusted, as it did not idle or respond to throttle controls well. During the last crank, the engine turned over and revved up very high and a metallic 'clank' or 'bang' noise occurred and the engine locked up. I can only turn the shaft a little by hand and it is blocked in both directions. I am needing to know you guys' thoughts on what this could have been and if my engine is beyond hope for being repaired. I'd really like to keep the engine, if at all possible. FYI, the engine and mower did run and operate fully when I purchased it. It just needed alot of TLC to run efficiently. Any and all help, suggestions, and comments are appreciated. Attached is a pic of the engine on the mower.

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 7

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a thrown rod or crankshaft issue. Probably be fine with a new piston and rings, crank and rod. Don't get overwhelmed there. I think you can get all those fresh parts for less than a good steak dinner. Much cheaper than buying a new engine for sure. That should have a cast iron cylinder liner in it. Shouldn't have hurt that part of it. You will have to open it up and investigate the carnage.

We want PICTURES please of the inside. ;)

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably broke the rod. If you are lucky it did not break the piston skirt and all you need it a new rod. Also check the weights on the govenor gear. Around 6000 rpm they break off the gear. If the engine had oil in it the crank is probably OK. Check the block carefully for any cracks where a piece of rod may have hit it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you preform a static governor adjustment? That may be why you had little to no throttle control and it revved so high.
Crankshafts and Pistons and rings are NOT available for CERTAIN date codes....

Threads
Did you preform a static governor adjustment? That may be why you had little to no throttle control and it revved so high.
Crankshafts and Pistons and rings are NOT available for CERTAIN date codes....

I did make sure that the governor was not locking up and moving freely. I also tightened both the idle speed screw and air/fuel mixture screw down all the way and backed them off 1 1/2 turns so I had a proper starting point. Connections are good and spring is still tight on the carb/governor linkage. Is there anything else that you'd recommend I do before the next time I'm able to get it running?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to open the engine up and see what is broken inside. Pictures of everything please.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I did make sure that the governor was not locking up and moving freely. I also tightened both the idle speed screw and air/fuel mixture screw down all the way and backed them off 1 1/2 turns so I had a proper starting point. Connections are good and spring is still tight on the carb/governor linkage. Is there anything else that you'd recommend I do before the next time I'm able to get it running?
the governor moves freely when in and out of adjustment.... The link you posted is the procedure i talked about... you need to open it now and see what broke.

Threads
Alright, so I had a little time to work on it this evening before having to focus on the fam. I've taken about half of the inner workings out. I can't tell anything super obvious other than the bottom of the rod appears to be more loose than it should (like it got knocked ajar). Good news is I haven't found any pieces floating around. The bottom of the crankcase has this little piece on it that looks random. It's the shiny washer-type piece that stands out. Kind of looks like it may be a 'seat' to secure things when the crank case is tightened. Do any of you guys know what it is? I'll attach some pics and then get the rest put up when I finish taking it apart tomorrow. Thanks so much for the feedback so far!7C930214-A6BA-4EDA-A006-83927922B9F9.jpeg97E667A0-32B2-4B61-ACDA-76D85CDFEBF1.jpeg2D953F17-5247-4D9A-8DF1-CB2FE71E327F.jpeg0BFBEFB6-1E9B-44A4-83F8-C08BDC629883.jpeg

Attachments

• BCD1DD81-2C4B-4963-9CF2-0DD75C958D83.jpeg
    BCD1DD81-2C4B-4963-9CF2-0DD75C958D83.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 8

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you turn the engine by hand a couple revolutions?