Help deciding - Kubota, Bad Boy, or Exmark

Bballtwenty2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all.
Will be purchasing a new mower in the coming days. I am getting away from the big box store lawn tractors. I mow a little over an acre yard in a neighborhood.
The three choices that I’m needing help deciding with are they following:
  • Kubota Z231 42” with Kawasaki 22hp - $4199
  • Bad Boy ZT Magnum 48” with Kawasaki 22hp - $4850
  • Exmark Quest E Model 42” with Exmark engine - $3900

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Throw the Exmark out and flip a coin on the other two.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can I ask why throw the exmark out?
Chinese engine for one. They are exactly the same as the Toro Timecutters sold at Tractor Supply and other big box stores. They are all pretty much lower end residential models.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Exmark with the Loncin engines are just fine. It’s just some people worship them and others won’t own one on a bet. Order I would put them in is Kubota, Exmark, Bad Boy. All decent units. Best thing I can tell you is give each one a good test drive, talk to the dealer about why his is better than the other two. Get down to two, then test drive each again. In the end go with your gut about which one you like best and which dealer you like best. If still undecided go with the dealer you feel will be the most helpful in the future.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exmark with the Loncin engines are just fine. It’s just some people worship them and others won’t own one on a bet. Order I would put them in is Kubota, Exmark, Bad Boy. All decent units. Best thing I can tell you is give each one a good test drive, talk to the dealer about why his is better than the other two. Get down to two, then test drive each again. In the end go with your gut about which one you like best and which dealer you like best. If still undecided go with the dealer you feel will be the most helpful in the future.
I’ve owned a couple of Toros with the Loncin engine. I never had any problems with the engines. The Toro MX5000 that I owned was a pretty flimsy piece. It’s the exactly the same mower as the Quest E 50” mower. Cheap safety switches and a poorly designed deck leveling components. Like I said, the Exmark is a carbon copy of the big box store Toros.
I almost forgot about the troublesome brake control module that Toro and Exmark use on those lower end residential units.

Last edited:

Bballtwenty2

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I think I’ve made my mind up. Likely will be going with the Kubota Z231 42”

bkeller500

Threads
If you are set on the Kubota Z231, you might want to reconsider the 48" deck as it will give you a wider trim capability thus less rutting in tight spaces.

Bballtwenty2

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are set on the Kubota Z231, you might want to reconsider the 48" deck as it will give you a wider trim capability thus less rutting in tight spaces.
The issue I have with the 48” is that it comes with a dang Briggs and Stratton motor…
Any other recommendations you have?