gxv140 rebuild help

powelljwp

Forum Newbie
Threads
so im rebuilding a gxv140 and i cand seem to figure out how to line up the cam shaft with the crank shaft does any one have the page out of the manual? or can tell me for shure wich way they line up. I see the mark on the camsahft but i dont really see one on the crank only thing close is a faded white dot.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
so im rebuilding a gxv140 and i cand seem to figure out how to line up the cam shaft with the crank shaft does any one have the page out of the manual? or can tell me for shure wich way they line up. I see the mark on the camsahft but i dont really see one on the crank only thing close is a faded white dot.

You're almost there....there's a mark on both the crankshaft and camshaft that line up; here's an image. (red = crank gear, green = alignment mark)

The mark for the crank is actually on the gear itself; it's a very faint mark near the bottom of the tooth. Use a bright light and clean up the area to see it best. The model engineer tells me it's really faint, but there, if you look just right.

Attachments

• gxv160 valve timing crankshaft camshaft marks.jpg
    gxv160 valve timing crankshaft camshaft marks.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 118

powelljwp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much! I got it all put back together and you got to love a Honda this mower has been sitting at my house for two months before that I don't know how long it was sitting at the previous owners with the broken rod but it started first pull once I got it all put back together. My HR215 runs good and strong self propelled is strong and faster than I can walk got to love it!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks so much! I got it all put back together and you got to love a Honda this mower has been sitting at my house for two months before that I don't know how long it was sitting at the previous owners with the broken rod but it started first pull once I got it all put back together. My HR215 runs good and strong self propelled is strong and faster than I can walk got to love it!

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

powelljwp

Forum Newbie
Threads
so now it runs good and all i jusr cant seem to get the idle cotrol correct it wants to over rev or i have to kill it by way of the fuel cutoff switch if i engaeg the blades it runs a nice constant speed

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
so now it runs good and all i jusr cant seem to get the idle cotrol correct it wants to over rev or i have to kill it by way of the fuel cutoff switch if i engaeg the blades it runs a nice constant speed

I asked our tech guys, and the telling comment is low speed / idle issue. There's a low-speed circuit in the carburetor that controls idle, and I'll bet there's a tiny bit of debris or junk in there causing the problem. Even a new carb can have this issue, sometimes.

Next, the governor could be out of adjustment, but not likely. Most probable is a carb issue.

powelljwp

Forum Newbie
Threads
so cleand and rebuilt the carb but same exact problem

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check gaskets between carb and intake manifold.
Check governor for correct settings, springs, holes, etc.
Verify engine speed in FAST position (3,100 rpm +/- 100)
Verify engine speed in SLOW position (2,000 rpm +/- 100)

I hate to say it, but it's still possible something not right in the carb; it's easy to not get it back together perfectly, and I've seen plenty of people try. You may want to bite the bullet and replace the carb.

If you'll get me the serial number off the engine block or the back of the mower deck, I can get exact pages for the above checks for you (drawings, details, etc.)