Grasshopper Weight Transfer

BWH

Threads
I wanted to share a great experience I had with my Grasshopper 725 DT6 with a 61" power fold deck, vacuum/blower and 15 bushel steel self unload hopper. We have been experiencing a wetter season than normal which has made traction on side hills and turning on an incline tricky not to damage turf, I was sure that my weight transfer spring was at full tension but I thought I would double check. It was full tension but when I was looking things over I noticed a second set of holes on the tension straps running from the deck to the transfer assembly behind the drive tire. There was no mention of the second set of holes in my owners manual so I sent a message on the Grasshopper website asking if this was something I could use for more traction without messing up any warranty. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call the very next morning from a Grasshopper factory tech he told me that it would enhance my traction but suggested to be careful not to make the rear end light. It was a great conversation and a great service to be able to work with the manufacturer.

My results were beyond what I could have expected, I was quite sure that with the weight of the 15 bushel steel hopper plus the weight of the Kubota diesel I couldn't possibly get rear end light. Noticeable was it's ability to turn way more effortlessly plus its side hill ability is nothing short of excellent. It was also noticeable that the dolly wheels on the deck were caring less weight while traveling through uncut grass which leads to a cleaner cut without the grass being mashed down from the full weight of the 61" deck then rising up a few hours later creating slightly higher cut on the wheel tracks. This is not a light duty mower and when I went to the 61" deck with blower it just didn't have the maneuverable feeling I had become accustom too. All kidding aside this thing has the feel of a 600 series but the power and 61" cut of the 700 series.

Just Sharing to the Grasshopper Gang

Grouse09

Threads
Great to hear Grasshopper has a real person for support. I use my vacumm kit in late November after the leaves fall. I blow them into a windrow and pick them up. They go to my sandy lot where I work them in. Works great. Otherwise I take it off all summer to get rid of the weight and bulk.

BWH

Threads
Great to hear Grasshopper has a real person for support. I use my vacumm kit in late November after the leaves fall. I blow them into a windrow and pick them up. They go to my sandy lot where I work them in. Works great. Otherwise I take it off all summer to get rid of the weight and bulk.

Mixing in the leaves and grass clippings to your sand lot will turn it into way more productive soil.

I do about the same to enhance my soil on my back lot it is more clay soil but in total I have 2.5 acres of property, of which I water fertilize and finish cut 1 acre. I built a 30'x18' compost bin from utility poles stacked, I leave the clippings compost for the season then in the fall using a manure spreader I spread the nitrogen rich compost over the back lot to fertilize the brome grass pasture. I rent the pasture out having a local farmer cut and bail the brome grass.

I used to bag and haul the clippings to a community compost site where a local farmer would pickup and spread the compost on a sandy row crop field in the fall. Having my own compost bin takes the work out of bagging (unload from the seat) plus in essence I get double the use from my fertilizer dollar.

CPM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wanted to share a great experience I had with my Grasshopper 725 DT6 with a 61" power fold deck, vacuum/blower and 15 bushel steel self unload hopper. We have been experiencing a wetter season than normal which has made traction on side hills and turning on an incline tricky not to damage turf, I was sure that my weight transfer spring was at full tension but I thought I would double check. It was full tension but when I was looking things over I noticed a second set of holes on the tension straps running from the deck to the transfer assembly behind the drive tire. There was no mention of the second set of holes in my owners manual so I sent a message on the Grasshopper website asking if this was something I could use for more traction without messing up any warranty. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call the very next morning from a Grasshopper factory tech he told me that it would enhance my traction but suggested to be careful not to make the rear end light. It was a great conversation and a great service to be able to work with the manufacturer.

My results were beyond what I could have expected, I was quite sure that with the weight of the 15 bushel steel hopper plus the weight of the Kubota diesel I couldn't possibly get rear end light. Noticeable was it's ability to turn way more effortlessly plus its side hill ability is nothing short of excellent. It was also noticeable that the dolly wheels on the deck were caring less weight while traveling through uncut grass which leads to a cleaner cut without the grass being mashed down from the full weight of the 61" deck then rising up a few hours later creating slightly higher cut on the wheel tracks. This is not a light duty mower and when I went to the 61" deck with blower it just didn't have the maneuverable feeling I had become accustom too. All kidding aside this thing has the feel of a 600 series but the power and 61" cut of the 700 series.

Hey

Hey BWH,

I know this is a very old post but I just stumbled across your post and registered on this forum and first time posting. I own a 2019 725dt 61" deck and bar tread tires, and I have the absolute worst traction. So I did some research and adjusted the traction kit springs down from a 1.25" as set from the dealer to 1" on each side. I hope I don't regret this, and I see on the manual it says not to do this but I need to try something. Haven't tried it out mowing yet besides in the shop parking lot after I finished the adjustment. I do have a weight kit on the back and it didn't seem too light in the rear end. For the life of me I could not find this second set of holes you mention in your post but I'm very interested in locating them and switching to them however that is done after the results you mentioned. I love this mower but it spins so easily and can't hold a side hill compared to my midmounts to save its life. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CPM

BWH

Threads
Hey

Hey BWH,

I know this is a very old post but I just stumbled across your post and registered on this forum and first time posting. I own a 2019 725dt 61" deck and bar tread tires, and I have the absolute worst traction. So I did some research and adjusted the traction kit springs down from a 1.25" as set from the dealer to 1" on each side. I hope I don't regret this, and I see on the manual it says not to do this but I need to try something. Haven't tried it out mowing yet besides in the shop parking lot after I finished the adjustment. I do have a weight kit on the back and it didn't seem too light in the rear end. For the life of me I could not find this second set of holes you mention in your post but I'm very interested in locating them and switching to them however that is done after the results you mentioned. I love this mower but it spins so easily and can't hold a side hill compared to my midmounts to save its life. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CPM
CPM
Just seen your post I've had some computer issues and been offline for a bit, since that original post I decided to see if I could transfer additional weight off my deck. A year ago, I started using a digital scale (bathroom scale) checking on weight distribution finding that the front deck wheels were carrying which turned out to be around 180 lbs. I always run the 15-bushel steel hopper on the rear, so I have fair rear weight to fight when turning or on inclines. I decided to try adding additional holes to the weight transfer mechanism to study the effect on the weight of the deck to the ground. I adjusted until I reduced the deck from 180 lbs to 115 lbs which had the same effect on the rear wheels although I don't recall where I started or ended up on the rear wheels, but it was similar results as the deck wheels. Keep in mind that while it reduced front and rear weight it did add weight to the drive wheels for added traction. Now with you not running the steel hopper on the rear of the machine you could get rear end light. It sounds like your light already back there which I find amazing considering the Kubota diesel engine along with the weight kit you have, I haven't seen a weight kit for DT6 units although I have run weight kits on Briggs and Koehler powered units. Long story short just experiment around I did and the results have been great I can run on sidehills, up and down hills, and turn without slippage (extremely noticeable). I will end in saying most turf damage caused by zero turns is caused by the operator rather than the zero turn its a process to learn, the bigger the unit the less feel you have as to when you are about to break traction.