grasshopper 329B blade bolt

Rosco2002

Threads
does any one know if the blade bolts are reusable. and if not, a cheaper place to get them other than a dealer. i work for a municipality and i bet we throw 100 blades a year mowing ditches and bypasses.

Rosco2002

Threads
do you know if there made to pull out when you hit something? what is happening is we'll hit something and the blade with bolt still in it will fall off

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
what year is the mower?
2009 year says they have a ribbed hex bolt, others just say "hex bolt"
Are the bolts breaking, or just falling out, like they came unscrewed?

Rosco2002

Threads
2018 329 b rear discharge. the bolt threads almost look pulled when they come out. im pretty sure there not unthreading. i have looked a the parts break down and all it shows is hex bolt. question is can i use a good grade 8 bolt and be good?

Divot

Threads
All my manuals say if you strike an object in the field, the bolt needs to be inspected and tightened immediately for it will fall off.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If threads inside spindle are good apply Blue Loctite to bolt threads before installing.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are mowing in one of the worst conditions possible and when a blade hits a correct object the blade momentarily stops and loosens the cap screw never to be tightened unless you stop and tighten it. If the cap screw looks anything but pristine condition I would replace it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are mowing in one of the worst conditions possible and when a blade hits a correct object the blade momentarily stops and loosens the cap screw never to be tightened unless you stop and tighten it. If the cap screw looks anything but pristine condition I would replace it.
Sorry but you really need to think this one through, draw it out on a piece of paper if you need to.
All mower decks are designed to self tighten in use so the bolts can not loosen when the blade momentarily stops
The blade may stop but the spindle does not so the bolt gets tighter
However the blade can spin inside the cups that hold it to the spindle and deform or wear a shallow groove , just enough for the blade to go a little loose .

Back to Rosco
First as a municipal authority you should be able to get them ( and all your parts ) directly from GrassHopper at trade price.
Also because you are a municipal authority you should be able to get swing back blades.
I know that Walker do swing backs, I am about to replace a set this week
Next have a good look at the cup washers, they have probably gone flat & are no longer doing their job of holding the blades tight under spring pressure .
Your diagnosis is probably correct, they are getting over tightened and are necking, so some Blue locktite as Mark suggested might be the answer and be careful not to overtighten them from the start