Governor issue HRX217HYA with Roto-Stop

JBtoro

Threads
Picked up a used HRX217HYA. Was over-revving. I adjusted the gov arm per Honda's instruction; ie, the shaft adjustment. Still over-revving so I bent the gov arm slightly to reduce tension on the spring. This put the unloaded rpm at a desirable 3200 at full throttle. However, when I engage the Roto-Stop, the rpms fall to a somewhat wimpy 2800 or so. My understanding of the governor is that the weighted mechanism inside the engine adjusts for various loads that the mower may incur such as thicker grass but it would seem that the clutch engagement load would also apply here. I can compensate by raising the unloaded rpm's to a speedy 3400 -3600 or so & then the loaded Roto-Stop engaged rpm's settle in at around 3200. Then, if I release the Roto I must throttle down pretty quick so that the engine doesn't over-rev for long. But this is kind of a pain. Anyone have a solution?

JBtoro

Threads

Locate your serial number & purchase a new carburetor.
Thanks for the reply. Trying to learn as I fix things. The OEM carb on this mower is clean; all jets open. The engine doesn't surge at any setting across the range of the throttle positions. So, I'm curious, why would a new carb cure the rpm drop issue when the Roto Stop is engaged?