Get a knock when turning the key

ba_50

Threads
31p977
0575 e1
Tried to start but the battery was dead. Put a charged one in and it ran for a few minutes. Got off and it quit. It only made a knocking sound on top left corner of the motor cowling. I noticed that when getting up and down on the seat it made the knocking sound.

Don't know what is wrong.
Thanks
Bob

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you checked the seat safety switch?

ba_50

Threads
I unplugged it. Wouldn't that take it out of the equation? Used too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just unplugging the seat connector can be a problem as many systems that ground the ignition system when the operator is off the seat now contain a shorting strip. Others requires 12v to be passed when the operator is on the seat to keep a relay closed.

As for the knocking noise first make the engines mounting bolts are tight. From there if the noise persists that I would suspect internal engine problem like a broken counter balance link. One other thing I seen just a few time is the top bushing to worn out allowing the flywheel flop around.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
No! Unplug it and make up a jumper wire to go into the wiring connector. Once you do that, sit n the seat with the parking brake on and try to start it. If it starts and remains running, you have a bad seat safety switch. Replace the switch and hook the wiring back up.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No! Unplug it and make up a jumper wire to go into the wiring connector. Once you do that, sit n the seat with the parking brake on and try to start it. If it starts and remains running, you have a bad seat safety switch. Replace the switch and hook the wiring back up.
Unless know we which safety system the OP has, unplugging, jumping, or other method is all guess work. The OP need to post the equipment make and model number from the serial number tag so someone here can look it up.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless know we which safety system the OP has, unplugging, jumping, or other method is all guess work. The OP need to post the equipment make and model number from the serial number tag so someone here can look it up.
Great advice sir.

Mower might have 12 volts going through it and some jumper to ground could burn the mower to the ground. Garage in flames, kids bikes on fire, grand children playing in the yard, wife's shoes might get torched LOL.

slomo

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then, I stand corrected.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then, I stand corrected.
It was just advice as I have seen both systems here. Even JD uses both systems and you got know to which you are dealing with.

So far I only seen one ZTR burned to the ground.
2dm1dxF.jpg

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was just advice as I have seen both systems here. Even JD uses both systems and you got know to which you are dealing with.

So far I only seen one ZTR burned to the ground.
2dm1dxF.jpg
I had two Toros and both of them had the cheapest seat safety switches imaginable. I had to jump both until I could replace them. Heck, my last one had a cheap reverse/brake switch. That was a constant headache.