GC 160

davisonproduce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wasn't sure where to post this, either here or the Husqvarna section. I have a Husqvarna tiller, which has a honda engine GC 160, it had been kicking back when the rope was pulled, thought it broke my finger, Sunday I went to start it, it kicked back, then nothing, engine spins, has compression and spark...broken valve possibly?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Those gc160s were known for cracking the intake rocker arm that coukd be it.
I'd remove the spark plug, and see if the piston moves when you pull the rope. If it moves, then i would remove the valve cover and take a look at the rockers.
Due to the design of the engine, most likely you'll have to completely tear the engine down if it is a broke valve... Cracked rocker you can just remove the valve cover and do it.

olgeezershonda

Threads
I'd check the flywheel key first. It might have sheered off for some reason like hitting a buried rock perhaps.

davisonproduce

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, Thanks for your replies! I pulled the spark plug, I did not actually view the piston moving, but it had compression. Reckon I assumed it was moving, will have a second look. Rocker is a very good possibility.
As is hitting a large rock, which I recently did, but not the last time I used it. I will check these things out, Thanks again!

davisonproduce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the rockers are fine, flywheel key, fine. Took the cover off and this is what I found, belt off and this 'clip' so I need to time the valves and find out about this clip, can anyone tell me how?KIMG1044.JPG

davisonproduce

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I would order the part pictured, now can the engine be timed without opening the case? Is there a timing mark on the outside somewhere, timing cam pulley seems simple enough, from what I read. Thanks in advance for help, we have a 1/4 acre garden that depends on this engine to run the tiller

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Timing is set with the crankshaft key groove facing directly toward the camshaft pin. And the camshaft marks are lines up with the edge of the engine block where the valve cover attaches.