Gas treatment to clean the carburetor ?

Rickcin

Threads
It seems that most start problems I have with my Toro mower have to do with the carburetor gumming up. Is there a good gas treatment that I could continually use that will help to ensure the carburetor stays clean? Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What i do for my stuff is to install a fuel shutoff valve between the carb and gas tank, like this, when i'm done mowing, fir the mower up, turn off the valve, 1619796985473.png
Now that still probably leaves a little bit of fuel in the jets and passages in the carb, but i've been storing my cub like that since 2010 with no running issues, even on the first start after sitting all winter, however, i also drain the gas tank.... either use it up cutting leaves out of the way, or siphon it out into your car. always start with fresh fuel.
On my push mower i've been using Star Tron fuel treatment, and it's worked to keep it from varnishing too bad, it usually surges for a few seconds then clears up.
But the BEST thing to do? if you can, purchase ethanol free gas.

Rickcin

Threads
I do use only non ethanol gas but didn’t realize that will totally prevent carburetor issues?

Our Walmart Murphy gas station does have gas without ethanol, fortunately!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are using good fuel, that has not been sitting around for more than 30 days, you should not have any problems. If this is the case I would recommend you go to a different supplier. Good ethanol fuel will not breakdown within 30 days.

Rickcin

Threads
If you are using good fuel, that has not been sitting around for more than 30 days, you should not have any problems. If this is the case I would recommend you go to a different supplier. Good ethanol fuel will not breakdown within 30 days.
I’m using fuel without ethanol and I’m treating it with stabilizer even though it’s not sitting around for months. I was wondering if using Sea Foam occasionally was also beneficial for small engines?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some people swear by it and some swear at it. Use of fuel stabilizer or different oils has been debated here many times. I hope this doesn’t start another one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sea foam was originally for 2 smokers. That farm life guy on youtube did a video on it. Not impressive at all. Well the smoke show is impressive. I can add transmission fluid to all my mowers and do the same thing. Even put my used oil in them and smoke up the neighborhood for FREE. Great way to recycle.

slomo