Fueling issue.

Bald Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I have a D-140 that’s about 9 or ten years old. It’s been very well maintained.... until this past winter (Philly area) I let it sit with a full tank of gas that had not been stabilized. This spring it won’t start. I drained about 3/4’s of the tank and added fresh gas. Nothing but cranking. I checked the interlocks for the seat, brake pedal and blade engagement. All check out. The plugs look great. If I give her a teeny tiny squirt of Cosby Cologne (Ether) it fires up for a second and then dies. I checked the fuel pump vacuum line and it has not cracks holes or splits. I put on a new fuel pump and fuel filter. It cranks but no fuel is being drawn into the filter. I thought a vent line might be plugged so I opened the gas cap...still nothing.

Any tips, tricks or advice will be very much appreciated!

thanks in advance!
Bald Bill

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the carb and clean it.
In particular pay attention to the fuel shut off solenoid
It should retract when the ignition is turned on.
Being at the bottom of the float bowl crud accumulates in there.
If it is stuck then spray some of your cologne into the solenoid & work the piston in & out
Continue till it moves freely then retest by applying power to it.

Bald Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
remove the carb and clean it.
In particular pay attention to the fuel shut off solenoid
It should retract when the ignition is turned on.
Being at the bottom of the float bowl crud accumulates in there.
If it is stuck then spray some of your cologne into the solenoid & work the piston in & out
Continue till it moves freely then retest by applying power to it.
Thanks! Now I have my Saturday little project. I’ll take it completely apart and clean it thoroughly before reassembling it. (I’ve rebuilt tons of downdraft Porsche carbs, I shouldn’t Fu(k it up too badly)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks! Now I have my Saturday little project. I’ll take it completely apart and clean it thoroughly before reassembling it. (I’ve rebuilt tons of downdraft Porsche carbs, I shouldn’t Fu(k it up too badly)
Oh dear.
That is going to be a major problem.
Before you start chant to yourself 100 times "it is only a crude rude & unsofisticated mower engine, IT is not a Porsche"

One of the biggest problems is from people over thinking the tasks they are doing.
These are the simplist cheapest possible engines to make and keep that in mind.

Bald Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh dear.
That is going to be a major problem.
Before you start chant to yourself 100 times "it is only a crude rude & unsofisticated mower engine, IT is not a Porsche"

One of the biggest problems is from people over thinking the tasks they are doing.
These are the simplist cheapest possible engines to make and keep that in mind.
i only mentioned it as a way to indicate that I’m quite comfortable rebuilding carbs. All carbs are just glorified perfume atomizers.

Bald Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the carb off and apart. I gave everything a good cleaning and put it back together. After cranking a few times to fill the bowl it fired right up!

thanks!