Frozen blade bolt on Honda SR215 walk behind - method of last resort

CanCutIt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Frozen blade bolt on Honda SR215 walk behind - method of last resort
Replacing blades on my Honda SR215 HXA (20 years old, and still running!) today, found one bolt frozen.
Tried WD 40, impact wrench, but only after I partly stipped the bolt head using a 12-point socket instead of a 6-point one...
Ended up hacksawing it off, with some effort, by hand, as there was just enough room under the mower to do that. You probably do not need to hacksaw the bolt head separately from its base - I tried to chisel out the base, but that failed, so I hacksawed that also.

When the final sliver of metal let loose, it audibly and visibly popped loose - the pressure washer under the bolt breaking free.
After that, easily removed the blades and the remaining bolt, no trouble at all.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/cancutit-albums-5-24-2012-honda-sr215-blade-bolt-frozen.html

May try anti-seize this time, the "copper" kind, as I have read in another similar post.

BTW: I see this belongs in the Honda Forum, not here - can someone tell me how to withdraw or move a Post?

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
May try anti-freeze this time, the "copper" kind, as I have read in another similar post.

WELCOME to LMF...

You may have got it off easier using a good penetrating oil, (WD40 is Not a penetrating oil Nor a lubricating oil) ... next time try something like PB blaster or Kroil... You will be amazed at how well it works...

Also I believe you are referring to Anti seize... it will keep nuts & bolts easy to remove... :smile:KennyV

CanCutIt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I meant anti-seize. Will get some PB Blaster for next time. Thanks.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
BTW.... Great pictures... But that sure looks like Too much work.... :smile:KennyV

Lawnranger

Threads
Years ago I had a similar problem with a blade bolt and I used a pipe wrench to grip the rounded head of the bolt and it worked great. The bolt head was destroyed but a new bolt fixed that problem.