Frankintrimmer

boydmiles

Threads
I have a Stihl fs40, engine runs great but the shaft gets so hot in use that it will melt the plastic bump head. I have a Shindaiwa T25 that won't run. Would it be possible to use the shaft from the T25 on the Stihl? A quick glance makes it look like it is the same diameter but the flex shaft inside would have to be the same as well. Any guesses? Anybody ever try this? Any other cure for the heating problem? I have greased the bearing even if Stihl made that difficult. The trimmer is out of warranty so what the hell, may as well try.

upupandaway

Threads
...Would it be possible to use the shaft from the T25 on the Stihl?.....Anybody ever try this?...
Yes and Yes.
If the shaft diameter and end of cable\rod match, then no problem. Clutch housing looks like the one used on multiple other trimmers.

if not, post what dim does not match and i can tell u how to mod it to fit.
Playing with them, I've swapped motors\shafts between older trimmers stihl fs80/65/36/44's, Zenoa(Redmax BC261dl) among others without having to modify the shafts.

Just curious, whats up with the t25? If carb prob, did u see the substitute carb video on utube?

boydmiles

Threads
That was the one I found, I may end up doing that but the shaft change won't cost anything to try, just waiting for warm enough to do it. Hate to work on things with frozen fingers.

boydmiles

Threads
IMG_0364.jpg The Stihl is square the other is splined. I did have a dead Homelite curved shaft that fit but it isn't what I wanted, makes the thing usable but not able to cut heavy stuff.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The shaft will only get hot from friction. I would take the gearbox apart and put new grease in it then grease the shaft really well.

boydmiles

Threads
The shaft will only get hot from friction. I would take the gearbox apart and put new grease in it then grease the shaft really well.
It is a curved shaft so no gearbox, the bearing is just a bronze bushing and no amount of grease has helped.

Bob E

Threads
I had the same thing happen with a bent shaft weedeater, and I successfully frankensteined the engine onto an older weedeater shaft. Your supposed to grease those bent shafts once in a while, and I never did, but I think the main culprit was my new property that required about three times more trimming than the old place. I think it was too much for the little cheap-O bent shaft...

boydmiles

Threads
Homelite shaft fit, Shakespeare bump head universal fit, put the Stihl guard on as it had an angle that would work with the head to trim the line. So now it works, cut with it a bit and it was barely warm so looks good to go.
I have ordered a carb to try the conversion on the Shindiawa, it was a great machine.