First year with Hustler Raptor Limited

Filer

Threads
I'm mowing 4 acres of gently rolling terrain with very thick grass coverage. So far I've put 76 hours on the Raptor this year and there's much more to go before the season is over.

I've been very happy with the performance of the Raptor I sharpen the blades and clean out under the deck between every mowing session. I have no problem completing the entire 4 acres in about 6 hours. I could do it in less but one area has many obstacles to avoid, (trees, board fences, honeysuckle bushes). In fact, about 1/4th of my property could be described as a zero turn mower obstacle course.

I realize that I'm using the Raptor Limited in a bit more robust manner than the manufacturer suggests. But by keeping the blades very sharp and the underside of the deck clean, I've found that the Raptor Limited is definitely up to the task of keeping 4 acres in a very trim condition.

I understand that the EZT hydros can give trouble when they're pushed as hard as I'm using them. But so far they have performed admirably. In any event, there's a very good instructional video on Youtube which details the proper way to remanufacture a bad EZT.

My advice to someone with a comparable situation to mine is, give the Raptor Limited a chance. Keep the blades sharp, keep the deck clean, and I think you'll find that the little Raptor will perform much beyond the capabilities that it is recommended for.

Fizzerpilot

Threads
That’s great to hear. I’ve not touched the capabilities of my XOne... but it is a joy to run.

Filer

Threads
I like the elemental nature of the Raptor Limited. It's relatively light weight but built very sturdy. From what I can determine, the only real shortcomings it has compared to a heavy, industrial zero turn mower is the EZT hydros (which are typical on virtually all residential grade zero turn mowers) and it's rather light duty deck linkage.

From what I can determine, the learning curve for replacing the center section on an EZT hydro isn't that steep and the deck linkage can be easily repaired as necessary.

As mentioned, the Raptor Limited performs very well mowing my 4 acres. It's my opinion that they're capable of maintaining a property of that size for many years if the owner is willing to apply the proper maintenance and repairs and will do so at well below the cost of a large, heavy commercial unit.

I have no problem with those who enjoy working with the upscale, commercial mowers, but I want to see how economically I can keep my lawn maintained by starting with the $3200 Raptor Limited and keeping it in proper running condition.

mhavanti

Threads
Filer,

Pound for pound, buck for buck. You got the best end of the stick. Run it like you stole it because it will stand up to the pounding just as well as the high end mowers dollar for dollar spent.

Many more folks are cutting commercially these days with entry level mowers and doing so successfully. Cut on brother.

Max