Ferris 400s spindles

bcp21

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a 400s for residential use at the end of last year. This is my first zero turn mower and I’m trying to adhere to the proper maintenance schedule. I’m looking to do the first oil change and re-grease the fittings. This is where the issue lies, the manual shows fittings on the bottom of the three spindles, as well as on the front wheel casters and frame. Yet, when calling Ferris they said the spindles on a 400s are not serviceable and the manual is wrong, what appears to be fittings on the spindles are for overflow. I am struggling to believe the manual is incorrect but can’t get validation from either local dealer if these are serviceable or not. Can anyone confirm that the spindles on the 400s do not need to be greased? Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most ferris mowers have plugs in the front caster mounts you take out and can put in zerks to grease frint caster pivots. Don't know about the spindles. My is3100z has the hercules2 spindles with zerks.

CuttinGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please note this other thread on the topic.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Our friends is California do not allow open bearings any more
So yes they are sealed
I still fill the cavity with grease as it prevents water condensation
Occasionally I pull the inner seals off the bearings but you have to be careful that when greasing you do not pop the seals on the bearings as they are DUST seals not grease seals

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That why if you are going to be greasing them is to switch them over to 5204-ZZ which are shielded version and not the sealed version. They still seal for the most part but without a grease seal to back it I would not normally do that.