FED UP with Lawnmower Forum

Shedmechanic

Threads
If there is a moderator on this forum that can do so, PLEASE delete my account. I don't see any way to do so and I am tired of signing onto the forum to read posts and having the pop up "join" screen continue to pop up after I close the screen. I don't want to sign in everytime I visit the forum and if your forum must continue to remind me to "join" because I haven't signed in when I visit the forum, I am done with your forum. FED UP with it, and yes I know it may not need to be deleted, I just shouldn't visit the website, but I don't to be emailed and bothered in the future. Thanks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If there is a moderator on this forum that can do so, PLEASE delete my account. I don't see any way to do so and I am tired of signing onto the forum to read posts and having the pop up "join" screen continue to pop up after I close the screen. I don't want to sign in everytime I visit the forum and if your forum must continue to remind me to "join" because I haven't signed in when I visit the forum, I am done with your forum. FED UP with it, and yes I know it may not need to be deleted, I just shouldn't visit the website, but I don't to be emailed and bothered in the future. Thanks.

I agree with you, people shouldn't need to sign in to view the forum. I posted this yesterday in the site discussions. I was told if you gave it a few moments that the sign-in box would go away but it doesn't. When I come to the forum the sign-in box isn't there but the second I start to scroll it pops up and the forum fades. I don't know if it's a computer glitch or not but I know it's a pain just to be able to view the forum.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Thats weird - I have the site saved in my favorites and I never have to sign in. I think it might be a setting in your computer. I may have checked the "keep me signed in" box at some point, but can't remember. It's funny how times have changed where typing in a username and password is "too much trouble". If you consider all the information you have at your finger tips typing in a few extra letters/numbers is a very small price to pay.

Shedmechanic

Threads
Nope....never said it was "too much trouble" and I could make the setting on my computer so that it would sign me in everytime. But in the spirit of keeping my account secure and to discourage any hacker that may get on my account somehow, I still believe I should make the decision of what and where I go on the internet and what info I enter and when I enter it. I don't need convenience features making decisions for me. I don't mind typing at all, I was just putting a request in for a moderator to cancel my account here on this forum, as I belong to another forum that is better for users and moderated as it should be. They don't need to try and force someone looking for information to sign up so they can beef their site up with members because it is that good. So since you were trying to make a judgement call and say that I was not entering my information because it was "too much trouble" I figured i would elaborate so you don't have to make information up on my behalf because you feel you are ill-informed about me.

Amazing how someone will try to attack you on a forum here when the thread was not even directed toward anyone but was directed at someTHING instead. I am sorry if I offend anyone else that is insecure in their lives. GEESH!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
The popup is suppose to show once every 10 days if you are not logged in. If you have cookies disabled, the popup will show every time you visit.

If it is showing more often, try clearing your cookies from LawnMowerForum.com, closing your browser, and visiting again.

Also, check the "remember me" box when logging in---I remain logged in on every visit unless I log out or clear my cookies.

If after this you still want your account deleted, please send me a PM.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I Think my question would be why is this popup even here? Other than a form of advertisement which I thought was TABOO on this forum, or as Shedmechanic said a way of beefing up membership it serves no real purpose.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Nope....never said it was "too much trouble" and I could make the setting on my computer so that it would sign me in everytime. But in the spirit of keeping my account secure and to discourage any hacker that may get on my account somehow, I still believe I should make the decision of what and where I go on the internet and what info I enter and when I enter it. I don't need convenience features making decisions for me. I don't mind typing at all, I was just putting a request in for a moderator to cancel my account here on this forum, as I belong to another forum that is better for users and moderated as it should be. They don't need to try and force someone looking for information to sign up so they can beef their site up with members because it is that good. So since you were trying to make a judgement call and say that I was not entering my information because it was "too much trouble" I figured i would elaborate so you don't have to make information up on my behalf because you feel you are ill-informed about me.

Amazing how someone will try to attack you on a forum here when the thread was not even directed toward anyone but was directed at someTHING instead. I am sorry if I offend anyone else that is insecure in their lives. GEESH!

I was simply making a suggestion which is what forums are for. As far as being attacked, brother I think you might be a little too thin skinned. Maybe too much time in the shed with with the mowers running. I will make sure I never try to help you again thats for sure and believe me if I was attacking you it would have been worded much differently. Just quit visiting the site if your not happy! You don't have to bash this site just b/c you find it too much trouble to log in. I mean wow it is SOOO inconvenient to type your name and password in exchange for useful information. I am sure with your attitude you won't last long on any site! Good riddance!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
No need to argue about this guys. If a member has a complaint about anything on the site, we want to hear about it. We'd rather hear about any issues than have members stay quiet and have usability issues or just leave alotgether.

As for the justification of the pop-up, it does increase membership. We get a LOT of visitors who come once and then leave, and the pop-up helps recover some of them. We have been running one kind of pop-up or another for over a year on this site and have taken feedback into consideration when designing this one (which allows you to log in right on the pop-up).

The more members we attract, the more knowledge and experience the community will have, which I think is a good thing. When we had very, very few members back in 2010, we got complaints about there not being enough topics, not enough knowledge, etc. So we're doing things that are meant to attract more members.

Of course, the site experience is very important and since I visit the site daily, I am directly affected by any changes we make. Quite simply, you do not have to sign in to use the site. Of course, your experience will be more user friendly if you do, and you can save threads, reply, post, etc. But by no means is it required.

The pop-up is set to display once every 10 days if you are not logged in. I think that's reasonable. If it's showing more often than that, follow these instructions:

- Log out of the forum
- Clear all cookies from LawnMowerForum.com (you may have to delete all browser cookies if you don't know how to manually deleted individual site cookies)
- Close your browser
- Open your browser and visit the site again. At this point the pop-up should show once. If you don't want to see it again, do one of the following things:
1. Log in and check "remember me" (requires browser cookies to be enabled)
2. Click the "cancel and close" button on the pop-up. This will close the pop-up for 10 days.

Overall, we have very few ads on this site (currently just one banner for registered members, two for unregistered members) and do so because at the end of the day, we do need to pay for server costs, office overhead, staff, etc. We send out a monthly newsletter to members, and organize and moderate the forum. All of this adds up and for that reason, we do have to have a few ads on the site. Of course, LawnMowerForum.com is free to use for all members.

Mini Motors

Threads
But the man inspires argument, Muhammad. And you don't think that if he's this upset at one popup, that he's going to 3 to 5 steps to stop them, do you?

This is just one of 18 forums I belong to, and I've never seen a complainer like this guy.

D

davewade

What are the steps to cancel my membership?