FasTrak 48 with 21HP Koehler

Decker

Threads
I have an issue where the engine is not getting fuel. Has been idle for a few weeks but ran fine at that time. I can get it to fire up with starter fluid sprayed into the carb. Won’t stay running. I have checked the lines with no blockages (I blew air through them). Fuel pump seems OK with no obstructions. Seems like a simple device with few moving parts and uses vacuum from the running engine to move fuel (?). I tried venting the tank cap with no change. There is gas in the tank. It seems nuts to replace all the fuel lines and filter but is that the next step? Pump too? Should I pull the lines from each tank and check them out? Should I replace the fuel tank selector valve? Don’t want to spend money just to spend it.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Obviously I am missing something. Thanks in advance.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
take the fuel line off at the carb. then crank the engine. if you have fuel spurting out of the end of the fuel line, your pump is probably good and there is a issue in the Carburetor.
give us the model of the engine too, Kohler usually puts it on a silver tag along with other info.
need the model and spec number

Decker

Threads
Thanks. Kohler SV610 serial 4305116113. Interestingly, the fuel pump has always been dry when I was messing with it. So I took it off and blew it up. One side blew off so I glued it back on with the rubber bellow in place. Now when I pulled the hose off it was wet but not flowing out when I crank it. Ergo, the carb is the issue? I will mess with it tomorrow.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Okay, now i see you have a fuel shutoff solenoid (Anti Afterfire) on the carb. Whenever you turn the key ON, not start, but ON. you should hear a click from that solenoid. fuel should pump out the carb side of the pump when you crank it. If it doesn't also check that the pulse tube from the pulse line on the pump is still secure to the engine block.
1605496292192.png it has the single red wire coming from it.

Decker

Threads
Thanks. I will dig in more tomorrow and report. Thanks again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the fuel line from the pump to the carb, at the carb. Have an assistant try starting the engine while you hold the line in a glass bottle or jar. Pump about 3-5 oz. into the container. If you have no fuel, your problem is in the fuel delivery system. If you have fuel, problem is in the carb. Also, cover container and shake vigorously. Any cloudiness will indicate water in to fuel.

Decker

Threads
Fuel is being pumped. Should I replace the fuel shut off solenoid?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Fuel is being pumped. Should I replace the fuel shut off solenoid?
does it click when you turn the key on? you might also try to place your hand on it to see if you can feel it move.
It would also be wise to be sure power is making it to the solenoid.

Decker

Threads
It does click when the key is turned on.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
so most likely the solenoid is good, and since you're pumping fuel out of the pump, a jet or passage is blocked in the carb.
Did you do what Rivets said to check for water in the fuel,also?