EZ, practical discharge chute modification

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Husqvarna (as well as many other brands such as Craftsman) offer 3 modes of dealing with grass clippings, rear bagging with the hinged side discharge plate down, mulching (plate down but no grass bag) and side discharge with the plate holding in a discharge chute. I do mostly side discharge with my mower, but the size and angle of the discharge chute really limit the amount of clippings it will handle, and it clogs all the time.

Those who have the same type of mower and clogging problem may benefit from my solution:

First, install the discharge chute under the side plate. My chute also has tabs that fit in recesses on the side plate mount, and I found a position where I could raise both chute and side plate together.

Next, carefully drill a 1/4 inch hole thru both parts, then use a carriage bolt backed by a washer on the underside of the chute, and another washer and nut on top. I had to slightly enlarge the hole in the side plate so it would fit over the end of the bolt. With another large fender washer atop the side plate, you can secure both parts together with a wing nut.

Hopefully you have a place on your engine to fasten a length of #12 solid copper wire. Attach a small metal loop to the side plate (and NOT also the discharge chute) to permit looping and bending the wire so you can raise both parts when they are bolted together. Raising them only an inch almost eliminates chute clogging in dry grass, and in wet, heavy grass you can raise them fully.

Now, to revert back to bagging, simply remove the wing nut, unhook the discharge chute, let the side plate down, and store your chute on the handlebar of your mower as shown.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 81
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 83

LandN

Threads
I like the bolt-on set up on the handlebars you did. what i did was drill a hole through the side of the handlebar and put a 's' hook on it to carry my discharge chute.i used to run a bungee on the main discharge chute on the body and that kept it nice and high and grass flew out un-interrupted just had to watch where i was pointing it to...good job,now you can be a designer,engineer with all your free time.:biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the bolt-on set up on the handlebars you did. what i did was drill a hole through the side of the handlebar and put a 's' hook on it to carry my discharge chute.i used to run a bungee on the main discharge chute on the body and that kept it nice and high and grass flew out un-interrupted just had to watch where i was pointing it to...good job,now you can be a designer,engineer with all your free time.:biggrin:

When I retired I had 31 years in with my state job being a general carpenter/handyman/maintenance mechanic and was known for my ability to devise fixes. As for drilling a hole, there just happened to be one there unused....problem with those side discharge cover plates is, they do not prevent any discharged cut material from being thrown high and back at the operator...when the wind was blowing just rite a lot of it came back at you...not very safe.

benski

Threads
Ah yes, there just isn't a better way to cap off the day than with a shower of freshly mowed poo, caught in a 20 mph wind. Please don't ask how I know this.:ashamed::licking::biggrin::eek: I do like the mods!

oldyellr

Threads
I see the OP appears to be talking about a push mower, but I just had to jump in. One of the first things I do with any "new" mower is remove the discharge chute completely. Not only does the chute widen the mower, but if the grass is even a little damp, it lays down the clippings in rows that p3ople with lots of time and energy would have to rake up. Without a chute, the clippings are dispersed in a wide pattern. I've done this for the last 25 or so years and have only put a hole in my siding or basement window twice. :laughing:

LandN

Threads
Ah yes, there just isn't a better way to cap off the day than with a shower of freshly mowed poo, caught in a 20 mph wind. Please don't ask how I know this.:ashamed::licking::biggrin::eek: I do like the mods!

you should see what a REEL mower does with the nasty stuff and NO wind....good thing i have quick reflexes :laughing::laughing:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see the OP appears to be talking about a push mower, but I just had to jump in. One of the first things I do with any "new" mower is remove the discharge chute completely. Not only does the chute widen the mower, but if the grass is even a little damp, it lays down the clippings in rows that p3ople with lots of time and energy would have to rake up. Without a chute, the clippings are dispersed in a wide pattern. I've done this for the last 25 or so years and have only put a hole in my siding or basement window twice. :laughing:

Even with the chute on my 4210 MMM deck propped full open with a bungee cord, it still leaves HUGE windrows even with the grass completely dry. Propping the chute full open on a push mower lets a HUGE amount of cut grass spray back at the operator. About my 4210, I am so sick and tired of raking grass I want to scream. NOTHING I have tried (blades, mowing patterns, etc) will eliminate the raking when my grass gets THIS high. Even running over the grass twenty times, it still will not break down into small pieces.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 34

oldyellr

Threads
NOTHING I have tried (blades, mowing patterns, etc) will eliminate the raking when my grass gets THIS high. Even running over the grass twenty times, it still will not break down into small pieces.
Yeah, most mowers don't mulch the way it's claimed. The only solution is to mow each time the grass has grown an inch, which is hardly ever possible, even if you had the time, due to weather.

LandN

Threads
Even with the chute on my 4210 MMM deck propped full open with a bungee cord, it still leaves HUGE windrows even with the grass completely dry. Propping the chute full open on a push mower lets a HUGE amount of cut grass spray back at the operator. About my 4210, I am so sick and tired of raking grass I want to scream. NOTHING I have tried (blades, mowing patterns, etc) will eliminate the raking when my grass gets THIS high. Even running over the grass twenty times, it still will not break down into small pieces.

HEY JD,did you try using a neighbor, friend, or relatives mower and see what a different deck designed mower might do.just sayin

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD, Just because I'm curious ...... What blades etc. have you tried ??????
I had a 318 and had very little problem with clumping and a 2nd pass would nearly always solve the problem.
NOTHING I have tried (blades, mowing patterns, etc) will eliminate the raking