Expert Advice

Saito2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Grasshopper G2 Model 727K2 with a Kohler CH740S engine. The electric PTO clutch went out and I purchased a new clutch. I asked a local mechanic to replace for me. After removing the old clutch from crankshaft, he declare the crankshaft was ruined because the old clutch bearings wore a groove in crankshaft. I am no mechanic, but the groove he is referring to seems to have been machined into crank. Also when I examined the old clutch, I see nothing inside that could have cut a groove in the crankshaft. Can anyone help clear this up for me. I do not want to buy a new engine for the old mower. Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be, but I’d like to see the shaft and clutch before calling any one a liar. Most clutches are keyed to the shaft and the bearing is inside the clutch. I would get a second opinion before proceeding.

Saito2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be, but I’d like to see the shaft and clutch before calling any one a liar. Most clutches are keyed to the shaft and the bearing is inside the clutch. I would get a second opinion before proceeding.

Saito2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tried to attach a picture but keep getting message file too large. I resized all the way down to thumbnail and still too large.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have tried to attach a picture but keep getting message file too large. I resized all the way down to thumbnail and still too large.
I resize my pics with the Window's Paint program.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Open the photos in any photo app you like
Hit the resize and change it to 10" x 8"
Then go down a bit and change the RESOULTION to 72 dpi .
If you don't do that many of them just change the display size and not the actual file size.
If it has more options then JPEG for file type as it uses about 1/3 the space that RAW format does
ANd a quality of 75% is fine for viewing on a screen.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I've just gotten used to paint. My phone pics are HUGE, for some reason. Even on the lowest setting. So everything I post here has to be downloaded onto my computer first, then resized.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The electric PTO clutch went out and I purchased a new clutch. I asked a local mechanic to replace for me. After removing the old clutch from crankshaft, he declare the crankshaft was ruined because the old clutch bearings wore a groove in crankshaft. I am no mechanic,

Do you take raw food to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you?

If you are 'no mechanic' why did you buy the new PTO clutch?

Part of the mechanic's income comes from the markup on parts. If you were to ask me to use the parts you brought in, I would figure the markup and add that to the labor bill.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you take raw food to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you?

If you are 'no mechanic' why did you buy the new PTO clutch?

Part of the mechanic's income comes from the markup on parts. If you were to ask me to use the parts you brought in, I would figure the markup and add that to the labor bill.

Replacing a PTO doesn't take a mechanic. But knowing why the new one won't work, does. I doubt the man knew about the grove before he bought the PTO.

I wouldn't charge extra if a customer brought his own parts with him. How can you mark up something he didn't put anything into. As in looking up part numbers, ordering & paying for etc etc

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I charge $ 20 Aus to replace any part the customer supplies, I call it a fitting fee and it is listed as a separate line item on the invoice.
No one ever challenges this as it makes sense to them .
Probably around a dozen times a season I will get a call out because the owner bought something that he can not work out how to fit or pulled apart to fit something & cannot work out how to put everything back together properly.
Regarding the clutch from Saltos post like some others I can not see how this can happen as the clutch inner is keyed to the shaft and turns with it.
Even if the bolt was loose it could still not wear a groove on the crankshaft.
Now if the key was broken some how then it would but without photos I am loathed to condem another techs work or word but I rather fear Salto is having his leg pulled.