EXMARK WILL NOT START

JERSEYJOE

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Exmark Explorer will not start. There is no response to the key. If I jump 12 v to the starter it will fire if I pour fuel into the carb opening but there is no fuel flow since the valve in the carb has no power to it. What's going on ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a test light follow the positive cable from the battery to the key switch. You should have 12V at each connection. If you have 12V at the key switch, you will have to start checking each of the safety switches.

wildbill

Threads
Sounds like a safety switch, or maybe a fuse blown. Easy first, see if a fuse is blown. Next, see if there is 12 volts coming to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to "start" (the small wire(s).. If there is 12 volts hitting the solenoid from the key switch and the solenoid is not pulling in, then likely a bad solenoid.

rander

Threads
I had an Exmark Explorer for many years and encountered the same problem a couple of times. As noted above it is most likely a safety switch. Two that were most troublesome were the seat saferty switch, which seems to collect junk around it and the brake safety switch. Suggest you use a voltmeter and start at the ignition switch and go the others one at a time. Also, some of those switches pass current when closed (depressed) and others when the plunger is up. Sorry but can't remember which is which. It's helpful if you have an electrical manual. Not sure you can still get one from eXmark but I've found them on eBay in the past.

Threads
Maybe the reason they dont make Explorers anymore is because they arent reliable!

JERSEYJOE

Forum Newbie
Threads
I first noticed that it would not crank with the key so I jumped the 2 power leads at the solenoid andf it cranked but would not fire. I poured some fuel in the carb and it does fire. I have since learned about the fuel solenoid in the base of the carb. Since there is no power to it it makes sense that the feul will not flow to the main jet to fire up. Being an ex auto mechanic , a carburetor fuel solenoid is a new concept. I might just bypass it. what if I eliminated all the safety switches?

wildbill

Threads
Yeah, the safety switches are sometimes a pain, but, they are there for just that, our safety. Do not bypass them.

The solenoid on the bottom of the carb is the anti-backfire solenoid. It has a plunger which is energized when the key is turned to the "on" position and pulls away from the main jet allowing gas to flow into and through the main jet. When the key is turned off, the plunger, spring loaded, closes off the main jet which will prevent a backfire, supposedly.

I picked u a mower yesterday due to a burned out solenoid, same thing. I will replace it because it is not my mower. But, I cut the plunger off my mower about 2-3 years ago...... has not backfired yet..... and if and when it does, yee-haw. Just food for thought........