Exmark Staris 60 - Kohler engine - stops after 45 mins of mow time

rattler555

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark Staris 60 - Kohler engine - stops after 45 mins of mow time
Hello All,

I am looking for some advise on an issue I just started facing with my Exmark S series. I picked this up used last year with 1000 hours on it. I only use this to mow my 5 acres so not many hours are accumulating. Everything has been work fine until recently the mowing starts to bog down and eventually die after 30 - 45 minutes of mowing. Until then there is full power and all is good. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and oil. When the issue happens, the red indicator light comes on. After a few hours - everything is back to normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

JT

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Either the block is over heating or an ignition coil or two are getting weak slash failing.

Remove the top metal engine cover. Post pictures of the block here.

Need to load test your ignition coils.

geelee

Threads
is it fuel injected? if so turn key on and off 3 times leaving it on on the third time count the flashes. its a 4 digit code. 10 flashes is a 0. so 10 1 7 4 would be a lean fuel mixture. it could flash out more than one 4 digit code. it will always flash out a 6 1 code at the end ps all codes start with 0 some start with 00

rattler555

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much for the replies. I asked my local dealer about the codes and he said there's no way to ready them!!!! Lies
I'll check this out the next time it happens.
I did suspect overheating - but didnt know how to resolve - thanks for the advice on cleaning the fins around the engine.

geelee

Threads
the code is stored, you can read it now

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did suspect overheating - but didnt know how to resolve - thanks for the advice on cleaning the fins around the engine.
This is a yearly must on ALL mower engines. Look in your engine manual. It will say it in there. Most people don't know about cleaning the block and cooling fins. If you've ever cut high grass or scaleped a yard or two, this is a must do. Some baggers trickle grass into the top of the engine where the cooling air goes into the block.

Post pictures of your engine here.

rattler555

Forum Newbie
Threads
the code is stored, you can read it now
Hi - just checked 0230 - 0230 Fuel Pump Module Circuit Low Voltage or Open - any ideas on what to replace?

geelee

Threads
since it works for a while testing the connection wont tell you anything. but to test it unplug fuel pump, red wire will have power at all times with key on, 12 volts. computer grounds black wire to activate fuel pump. suspect bad fuel pump with your problem. to unplug lift up on white tab, will come up 1/8 inch then squeeze and pull connector up