Exmark / Kawasaki charging amps

LawnWizard

Threads
I am going to replace the Kawasaki engine on an Exmark Pioneer E series 48" that I bought from a very dishonest POS online. It's a long story but regardless, he posted a pic of the spec tag which showed an FX 730V-CS12. The engine is actually FR651V (according to the air filter cover) and locked up about an hour into the first use. So, my question is: I know that my FX 850s and FX1000's all have 30 AMP charging systems. How do I determine which spec 651 - 730 engine do I order for this mower? Is it a 15 /20 OR 30 AMP? There has already been some hillbilly wiring on the mower (separate kill switch wired in) and the harness has more wires taped off than used but I can sort all that. I would like to return this mower back to original as much as possible with the correct engine (or slightly larger).
The VIN is: PNE651KA482 so I assume it came with a 651 but again, without the proper spec tag, I don't know which spec to order. BTW, I'm a Hustler guy so please forgive my Exmark ignorance.
Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What spec do you currently have?

LawnWizard

Threads
What spec do you currently have?
That's what I don't know. It's a FR651V on the airfilter cover but the spec tag on the engine shroud is FX730V-CS12 (which is what he posted online) which is obviously wrong. (It is not an FX style engine). My pics are too large to post here.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Exmark list the FS730V being used on that model of mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to Emark website IPL lookup the PNE651KA482 came with a FS730V so it possible that someone had changed out the engine to the FX730V but use the engine shroud off another engine as the FR FS and FX 651v, 691v, and 730v all used the same 726cc engine design so it could be possible to swap the engine shrouds.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The thing is the FX, FR and the FS don't use the same air filter cover. Even though the shroud could be changed the air filter cover won't fit the other shroud unless there is some combination that isn't obvious. Looks like the FX uses a heavy duty canister type filter. the FR uses a snap down type air filter cover and the FS uses a twist type air filter cover connector.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably going tell me that my 2000 Silverado S1500 8.6" 10 bolt differential don't have a fill plug in the rear cover.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am going to replace the Kawasaki engine on an Exmark Pioneer E series 48" that I bought from a very dishonest POS online. It's a long story but regardless, he posted a pic of the spec tag which showed an FX 730V-CS12. The engine is actually FR651V (according to the air filter cover) and locked up about an hour into the first use. So, my question is: I know that my FX 850s and FX1000's all have 30 AMP charging systems. How do I determine which spec 651 - 730 engine do I order for this mower? Is it a 15 /20 OR 30 AMP? There has already been some hillbilly wiring on the mower (separate kill switch wired in) and the harness has more wires taped off than used but I can sort all that. I would like to return this mower back to original as much as possible with the correct engine (or slightly larger).
The VIN is: PNE651KA482 so I assume it came with a 651 but again, without the proper spec tag, I don't know which spec to order. BTW, I'm a Hustler guy so please forgive my Exmark ignorance.
Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!
I have looked at most all the replacement engines and thought if it had the same spec no. it would have the same crank dimensions but they don't. Looks like the only way to really tell is to measure the crank shaft length and diameter. Most all the FR and FS engines have 15amp charging systems. I would not think that a mower with a FR engine on it would have a charging system larger than 15amps.

LawnWizard

Threads
Can anyone fully explain what makes a mower a 15A / 20A / 30A mower? I understand the stator / coils and voltage reg on the engine must be correct but is the wiring harness on the mower itself different? What happens if you mount an engine with a 20A setup onto the frame and plug it into the mower that originally came with a 15A? Does the battery not charge correctly? Does it blow up? Is there a risk of a wire harness fire? Just seems like this is more difficult that it really needs to be....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The current capacity is a function of the strength of the magnets, the speed the magnets pass the coils and the number of turns of wire in the coils .
If the regulator matches the stator it matters not if you have a 1 amp or 100 amp system.
You need to be supplying more amps than the mower draws or eventually the battery will go flat
Running with a flat battery can cause the stators to overheat and char ( not burn ).
Regulators regulate that is why they are called regulators so they fully charge the battery then turn off.
The only difference is a bigger system will be on for less time than a smaller system
Electric clutches draw around 10 A when first switched on then 2 to 3 amps while it is running so you need that + a bit more to recharge the battery
The bigger the system the faster it charges the battery
However the bigger the system then more energy it takes away from the blades
So if say you had a 100A system then the engine would labour for 5 minutes and run slow after you start till the battery is charged & the alternator turns off