Equipment upgrade for my son: more batteries for cordless? new gas mower?

ilyaz

Threads
  • / Equipment upgrade for my son: more batteries for cordless? new gas mower?
My son is graduating high school and is planning to mow neighbors' lawns this summer to earn some cash before going to college this Fall (whatever that means these days...)

Up until now he's been using our Ryobi cordless mower which is OK but not perfect. Most lawns in our neighborhood are small (~ 1/4 acre) but occasionally there are some bigger ones. Still, especially when grass is long, he can't finish lots with one set of batteries (we have 3 now). So as a graduation gift of sorts, we want to help him with equipment.

Option 1: buy X more batteries for the Ryobi
Option 2: buy a gas mower. (not a corded electric since those are PITA to deal with)

Which option should I choose? Fop Option 2, nobody in our household knows anything about gas engines, and he can learn but it's a steep learning curve if he picks up a used/broken gas mower for cheap. He can of course take it to a repair shop but then it might be better to just buy a new one. Maybe even self propelled? For Option 1, those batteries are pretty expensive so for the cost of a new gas mower (say $300) he can probably get 3-4 batteries. Which may not be enough for a big lot with high grass. On the other hand, electric mowers are easier to maintain, lighter, more environmentally friendly etc.

If we do get a gas one, what make/model would be a good balance of cost, reliability and power? If we pick Option 1, are there after-market battery brands that are better?

TIA!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
For a young guy, city yards, one year (?) commitment I'd go gas push with Briggs & Stratton engine. Look for a mower with larger sized wheels, side discharge that can convert to mulch. Large sized muffler so not to aggravate the neighbors. Check oil, clean fresh gas, good to go.

ilyaz

Threads
For a young guy, city yards, one year (?) commitment I'd go gas push with Briggs & Stratton engine. Look for a mower with larger sized wheels, side discharge that can convert to mulch. Large sized muffler so not to aggravate the neighbors. Check oil, clean fresh gas, good to go.

Thx!

I looked online but could not figure out which gas makes/models have bigger mufflers or are generally quieter. All searches for "quiet gas mower" returned articles on why I need an electric mower. :) Do you know any that are quieter? Or do I need to get a muffler separately like https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/BRIGGS-STRATTON/Quiet-Mufflers? Are these effective?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thx!

I looked online but could not figure out which gas makes/models have bigger mufflers or are generally quieter. All searches for "quiet gas mower" returned articles on why I need an electric mower. :) Do you know any that are quieter? Or do I need to get a muffler separately like https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/BRIGGS-STRATTON/Quiet-Mufflers? Are these effective?
GEnuine Honda engines are the quietist because they have better mufflers and spin a bit slower

henryn

Forum Newbie
Threads

I highly recommend this model. I am on my third unit. They last about 5 years, and then the deck rusts out. But the Honda motor starts on the first pull, hot or cold, and the mower just works and works and works. At a cost of $279, and lifespan of 5 years, that means you're paying about $60 per year for a mower that just works.

Edited to add: I am a fan of battery operated string trimmers for homeowner use. I have been using an Ego 56v string trimmer for 4 years now. I trim about 7 lots every week, and it takes 2 batteries to get the job done. I went with Ego because I hate finicky, hard to start 2 cycle engines on string trimmers. But trying to do multiple yards with a battery operated mower would just require entirely too many batteries. And with a Honda 4 cycle engine on the mower I recommended, you are very unlikely to encounter any problems.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since most people mulch, look at this one with the Briggs motor. They only last like 40 plus years so beware LOL.

slomo

cruzenmike

Threads
I agree that anything with a Honda engine would be good. Briggs does make an engine with "quiet" technology that makes them less bothersome to neighbors but models with those engines are quite hard to find. If he is going this for money, you might also want to consider something self propelled. The additional $40-60 for that option will pay in dividends over the course of the summer in time and fuel savings.