Engine smoking. Where is my breather tube?

gliebisch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a B&S Intek engine 33R877-0009 on my Ariens (Husqvarna) mower. It is 7 years old and has suddenly begun smoking (white) when under load such as in heavy grass or up a very gradual bank. Normal level ground mowing does not produce any smoke. The engine otherwise runs smoothly. Before I give in and take it to a shop for major repairs, I'd like to check the obvious things. I have checked the oil level and it is normal. They also say to check the breather tube to see if it's clogged. I can find the breather tube on available online parts diagrams, but I can't find it on the actual engine. I can't fathom how this tube could be clogged since it appears to be a significant diameter, but I'm willing to check it out, IF I can find it!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is more likely to be a blown head gasket as these do have a tendency to blow them.

But the breather tube is attached to the air cleaner side of the carburetor next to the engine and goes under the flywheel.

frenchriverco

Threads
Let's start with the simple things first. How clean is the engine? Is the smoke coming from the exhaust or the crankcase? The reason I ask is because when the engine is under load like with wet grass, it exhibits more heat on the block. If there is debris or old oil, this will burn off and smoke. If it's coming from the exhaust, that could be several different things like worn piston rings allowing oil to seep above.