ECU (AM141075) failure

gtroberson

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears the ECU (AM141075) failed and blew a fuse. Fuse was replaced. Noticed now when trying to crank, the ECU overheats and actually starts melting. I suspect the ECU failed and caused the blown fuse. I have a new ECU but am hesitating to put it in in case there is another issue. Any suggestions?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the battery to engine ground connection. If the ground connection has some resistance when you crank the engine whatever ground there is will try to carry the starter current. Melting the module is a sign it is passing way too much current.

AVB

Threads
It won't hurt to know which JD you are working on so someone can looked the wiring schematic. JDParts doesn't indicate which machine this module is used on.

Last edited:

AVB

Threads
Tnx for the model number unfortunely I haven't purchase that service manual yet so I am of no help here.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might just have to bite the bullet & buy the JD manual.
It work out a lot cheaper than replacing the ECU every time you mow.
One of the control sensors will be a dead short but which one is any ones guess without the technical manual there to guide us.

gtroberson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am seeing a lot of on-line sources for service manuals. Are they actual OEM manuals? Anyone had good success with a particular source?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Buy then direct from JD Technical manuals
The download will be sent to you almost instantly, he CD takes week but a paper copy will be very expensive & take a long time.

D

Deleted member 97405

The X300 interlock module was known to fail. It's not an ECU. It's just the brain box for the safety system. Deere updated them several times. The most common failure was lack of spark. Your engine would crank, but not fire. There is no way to test the module except to plug it into a running machine. I've done over a 100 of these over the years at the dealership and never had one melt, but I have heard other techs talk of other failures with these modules. Usually replacing the module fixes the problem.