ECHO HC-150 Hedge Trimmer/ Scored Cylinder-Piston!

seagiant

Threads
  • / ECHO HC-150 Hedge Trimmer/ Scored Cylinder-Piston!
Hi,
I have a friend that runs a Lawn repair business and every now and then I get an orphan piece of machinery. He gave me a ECHO HC-150 as I need a trimmer and would rather rebuild one than just go out and buy it. This one has a scored cylinder and piston. Also a hole in the crankcase. I have no history on this unit. I sort of understand the scored part from using fuel with no oil in it but not the hole in the crankcase???

I want to rebuild this as all parts are available but was hoping to salvage the cylinder and piston. Now that I look at it though it does not look good? Here are some pics!

ECHO calls that part the gearcase!

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 18
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 15
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mr seagiant, I don't think your'e kidding us... IMO if you can get a new piston barrel it might cost you more than worth it. I have seen used stuff on ebay, but it's risky. Others will chime and I've not had an Echo appart, but the "hole" looks like a fuel transfer port, part of the the 2 stroke design. Good luck.

seagiant

Threads
Mr seagiant, I don't think your'e kidding us... IMO if you can get a new piston barrel it might cost you more than worth it. I have seen used stuff on ebay, but it's risky. Others will chime and I've not had an Echo appart, but the "hole" looks like a fuel transfer port, part of the the 2 stroke design. Good luck.

Hi,
Well that would be good news! I went back and looked at the hole,it has sharp edges and looks like it was chiseled or something like that???? Does NOT look factory?

Last edited:

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
I thought the crankcase has to be sealed to create a vacumn to pull fuel in the carb???

DaveTN

Threads

I agree w/ motoman the oval shaped hole appears to be a fuel/air port. With all that heavy scoring and wear not only on the cylinder but on the piston and wrist pin as well, I would wonder about the crankshaft and rod wear as well. Either foreign material got into the piston / combustion area or more likely running too lean and oil starvation caused the scoring. I'd scrap the engine and use what parts I could off of it.

afoulk

Threads
I think the first picture shows the hole that he is talking about, in the corner of the crank case. I have no idea what that would from. The hole pin the cylinder is just an intake port for the fuel/oil/air mixture.

seagiant

Threads
I think the first picture shows the hole that he is talking about, in the corner of the crank case. I have no idea what that would from. The hole pin the cylinder is just an intake port for the fuel/oil/air mixture.

Hi,
Yes the first pic is the one I am talking about. There is a hole on the corner there and I do NOT think it is factory! I am perplexed though how it got there??? The rod and bearings look/feel good though.

These pics have the trimmer upside down held in a vise. ECHO calls the part with the hole the gearcase!

Attachments

• qq1.jpg
    qq1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 5
  • qq2.jpg
    qq2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
  • dd1.jpg
    dd1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 5