Drive wheels seized on Craftsman mower

mtothero

Threads
The front drive wheels on an old Craftsman mower (model 917.374520) are seized.

The belt is on the pulley and the plastic teeth on the wheels are fine.

Turning the pulley does not turn the axle. The pinion gears (that mesh with the wheels) are very difficult to turn.

I’m planning to remove the axle and transmission to inspect the gears.

I can not, however, remove the pinion gears. I have sprayed them liberally with PB Blaster.

I don’t have a gear puller and nothing I have tried in the way of levers or tapping with a hammer has been successful. I am ready to take a torch to them.

Any helpful hints are welcome.

Attachments

• 4FDE7D8F-858B-4049-AB70-88DD3ABF0AFD.jpeg
    4FDE7D8F-858B-4049-AB70-88DD3ABF0AFD.jpeg
    981.7 KB · Views: 5

lefty2cox

Threads
Did you remove the e-clip that holds them on?

mtothero

Threads
Did you remove the e-clip that holds them on?
I know there are supposed to be clips, but I don’t see any on either wheel. I got the mower used and I guess the prior owner removed them. Why the gears won’t budge, I don’t know. This is an old mower so perhaps they are just rusted on...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the transmission is worn out. Remove all the drive mess and push it. Makes for a much lighter machine and provides great exercise.

slomo

mtothero

Threads
Sounds like the transmission is worn out. Remove all the drive mess and push it. Makes for a much lighter machine and provides great exercise.

slomo
I wanted to see if I could fix the self-propel without too much effort/expense. If not, I have no problem taking a reciprocating saw to the axle and just removing the transmission assembly.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the pinion gear inside the trans is worn out slash stripped out. Probably needs a new transmission. Probably never added any oil or grease in that basically sealed unit. How old is the pusher?

slomo

mtothero

Threads
Sounds like the pinion gear inside the trans is worn out slash stripped out. Probably needs a new transmission. Probably never added any oil or grease in that basically sealed unit. How old is the pusher?

slomo
I bought the mower second-hand, so I’m not exactly sure how old it is. All I know is the wheels locked up not long after I got it. Can’t complain though - I only paid $20.