Drive pulley removal

Berniebac

Threads
I searched the forum and found info suggesting PBS Blaster, pullers, and a tie rod removal tool could be used to help get a pulley off the crankshaft. I checked my owners manual, parts manual and the motor manual and cannot find any info on the pulley.

I have removed the old engine and am replacing it with a new to me engine and I want to use my old drive pulley. The one on the used engine looks bent to me.

Any more suggestions on removing this pulley. The engine is on my work bench, drained of oil. Can I turn it upside down and put penetrating oil in the well formed by the pulley and hope that loosens it up?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's exactly what I would do. Let it sit for a couple of days to let the oil work.

Berniebac

Threads
Ok will do. I believe PBS Blaster is not available here, but I have a product called Innox that seems to work well. Will give it a try.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
get a 3 way pulley puller / gear puller what ever u call them. It has three arms and a center pusher you use an impact gun and pull it off. sometimes you have to carefully put the bolt back into the crankshaft so you have something to push has worked for me plenty of times harbor freight has them and they work well

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Be very careful if you try to use a puller on this pulley, if you bend it, you may be replacing. Soak it, then tap it good against the shaft, then slowly and carefully try to drive it off. A puller is always my last resort.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also use a adjustable metal ring for pulleys i forgot to mention it distributes the force over the whole pulley rather than the 3 spots.

Berniebac

Threads
Thanks guys. I am not worried about the pulley that is on the crank as I have a replacement and the one that is on the shaft has a bend in it now. I also have a puller but it is the type that uses threaded bolts to connect to what you want to pull and I can't see how to hook it to the pulley. There are no holes in the pulley, but I suppose I could make some to get it off. I will continue the soak and tap method before moving to the puller. Thanks for mentioning putting the bolt back in to protect the threads. I may not have thought of that.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Using 2 hammers, simultaneously tap the tubing ( if there is enough space between pulleys ) on opposite sides working around the tubing. This will often break the bond. Avoid the key area if the tubing looks as if there was a stamped key at manufacture time rather than an inserted key.

Berniebac

Threads
Using 2 hammers, simultaneously tap the tubing ( if there is enough space between pulleys ) on opposite sides working around the tubing. This will often break the bond. Avoid the key area if the tubing looks as if there was a stamped key at manufacture time rather than an inserted key.

I do have room and will try the two hammer thing. She seems stuck pretty good, so I'll soak it and tap on it for a few days. I can cushion the bottom of the engine with a 2x4 and pry up on the pulley with another 2x4. I swear it is moving slightly but will not come off. Just have to take my time and do no damage.

possum

Threads
This is how we removed pullys from grain augers and both electric and gas engine shafts. If there is a set screw remove it and spray your lube in the hole as well as both sides of the pulley. Take a drift punch and a hammer and drive the pulley farther onto the shaft just a little. Now clean that portion of the shaft exposed with emery cloth, add more lube and either drive it off or use a puller. If it hangs up coming off again just drive it back, clean up the shaft and start removing it again. If no set screw concentrate plenty of lube around the key as you begin to move it. I have removed at least 30 that way one winter rebuilding grain fans. Now if it is a tapered shaft it does not work lol.