DRIVE CABLE TERMINATION ??

USMC1310

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good day folks,
Am dipping my cup of question into the well of knowledge. Have a Troy-Bilt, rear drive mower MDL #12AV835Q711 that was given to me with only one problem...the drive cable barrel was sheared at the transmission end. The handle side is a no brainer as it's the cable end with the adjuster permanently affixed to the cable. However, the end that used to be a barrel terminating at the transmission is now a frayed, loose cable and I'm in need of concurrence that the new cable barrel end actually is mounted through the rear deck face (Photo below). I'm a newby, so fire at will and thank you in advance.
20200708_143623_mod-size-jpg.53215

Attachments

• 20200708_143623_mod size.jpg
    20200708_143623_mod size.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 42

nbpt100

Threads
I think you are describing the plastic end fitting that snaps in to a bracket? Or the round barrel shapped metal piece that is soldered to the end of the cable? I dont think it goes through that hole in your pic. It usually goes through the top of the deck. A new cable may be your best option. Look it up in one of the many on line diagrams and order a new one. I have never seen the plastic end fittings for sale. If you can get a metal barrel you will have to solder it on a good sound part of the cable end. Maintaining the original length is important. MTD/Troy Bilt parts are usually pretty available. I think this is the cable you are describing. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/mtd/94604265a

Last edited:

USMC1310

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks nbpt100. Agree that "most" of the cable terminate at an arm/lever/bracket on or near the transmission. However, the only bracket on this one is the end that the outer cable housing clips into which forces the transmission to rotate tightening the v belt from engine pulley to transmission in the go fast mode. I do have an OEM/MTD cable on order PN 946-04265A that shows the adjuster built into the cable on the hand lever end (Barrel end and have verified this is correct as that was the only identifiable part of the old cable and was still in the hand lever) and shows the transmission end as being a barrel end also. May try to get a photo of the area in question later. Thanks again.

nbpt100

Threads
A photo will help. I would assume it passes through a hole in the top of the deck. Look for a key hole shaped hold near the transmission barrel connection point. The back surface you show in the pic is usually covered by the bag or the back cover when mulching. Not sure how the cable could be routed that way???

USMC1310

Forum Newbie
Threads
The cable does pass through the deck (photo) and the sleeve terminates at the fitting on the transmission (poor photo sorry). With transmission rotated to the operating position (it's rotated 180 degrees for the picture), there is no other location for the barrel to terminate as with the cable installed the transmission fitting and the "keyhole" in the rear deck are aligned. Ant other opinions out there?

20200711_095933.jpg20200711_100023.jpg

nbpt100

Threads
Sorry, I can not tell from your picture. There has to be some place under the deck that it attaches too.