Dixie Chopper won't start

Topdog@2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know if this is a place to ask this question, but you never know till you try. Dixie Chopper model Zee 2, Kohler engine. Cutting grass, two front wheels stuck in a hole. Couldn't get out. Mower still running. Turned mower off. Used 2x4 under front frame to muscle mower most of the way out of the hole. Got on seat, turned key, nothing. Not a sound, no ticking, nothing. Anyone have any idea what has happened? Any suggestions on what I can check out myself? If I can't get it to start, I have a whole new problem of getting out of my yard and onto a trailer to go to shop. Thanks in Advance.

Born2Mow

Threads
Sounds like starter safety interlock system is holding you up. Seat switch, parking brake switch, and control lever switches all need to tell the starter it's OK to begin. Either you forgot something simple (like applying the parking brake) or (this is a long shot) one of the switches got smashed when you fell into the hole.

Bounce on the seat, apply the brake over and over, and then move the control arms in and out.

Topdog@2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like starter safety interlock system is holding you up. Seat switch, parking brake switch, and control lever switches all need to tell the starter it's OK to begin. Either you forgot something simple (like applying the parking brake) or (this is a long shot) one of the switches got smashed when you fell into the hole.

Bounce on the seat, apply the brake over and over, and then move the control arms in and out.
Thanks, Tried all that. Luckily, tomorrow, I found someone to help tow it out of yard to driveway. I will try all that again once I get it on solid ground.

Born2Mow

Threads
When you get it to the drive, see if you can jump it off with the truck battery. The shock may have damaged the battery, or shaken a battery terminal loose. Check all 4 battery cable terminals. The engine would have continued to run using the alternator until you turned it off.

Topdog@2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you get it to the drive, see if you can jump it off with the truck battery. The shock may have damaged the battery, or shaken a battery terminal loose. Check all 4 battery cable terminals. The engine would have continued to run using the alternator until you turned it off.
That's possible but, if it was the battery when I turned the key there still would be a clicking sound, wouldn't there? There is no sound at all when I turn the key.

Born2Mow

Threads
That's possible but, if it was the battery when I turned the key there still would be a clicking sound, wouldn't there? There is no sound at all when I turn the key.
No sir. If the battery circuit was broken at any place, then the entire electrical system would be dead. Which would not show up until the mower was turned OFF.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dixie usually specify an oil level switch
If the mower is at an extreme angle and the oil is below the oil level switch it won't crank.
Been caught out a couple of times with customers mowers they turned off on a slope then seemed to be totally dead when they tried to restart .
Spent hours trying to work out what was wrong then pushed the mower off the lawn to put it on my trailer & it fired right up.

Topdog@2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well guys like I said I have someone who will help me get it up to my driveway tomorrow and I will be able to check it over better and try everything that has been suggested. Thanks

parapower

Threads
If you jump started your mower then you blew the didoed it tells you to never jumpstart replace the didoed

Topdog@2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay guys, thanks for all the input. It is running now. I don't know what it is called, or why it should effect the start up, but there are two levers under the mower that you pull out or push in. I think it has something to do with the hyd. wheel motors. Anyway one of the levers where it attaches to the mower lost it's cotter pin and had come off. Got a new cotter pin and fixed it and has been working just fine. Thanks again everyone.