Dixie Chopper engine replacement

Barnpoppy

Threads
I have a Dixie Chopper XT3200 Quad Loop 72". Serial number 5051667. It had a Generac GTV760 or 990, not sure which. The engine is no longer with it. Everything else is in place and I'd like to install a new engine. I've seen the Kawasaki FTX00V-S08-S 35 hp recommended as a replacement. Can anyone give some advice about this. I am also missing the crankshaft pulley. I believe it's
5" x 6" split pulley. I don't know the crank diameter needed. I think the Generac had 1.25" crank but the Kawasaki has 11/8" crank. I'm thinking I can just get a 5" x 6" x 11/8" pulley but I don't know the crankshaft length needed. Can I just drop this engine into this mower if I can find a pulley, and will it work? I'm not opposed to a Kohler Command if that is a better solution. Any advice is appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to the Dixie Chopper web page and download your parts manual
Check the part number of your old engine stack pulley to the current one
With luck they will be the same
As for shaft length 99% are the same on mowers because the mower companies do not want to be forced to buy in different pulleys for each of the alternative engines offered new and they are the ones who specify the crankshaft end , not the engine company .
So a 1-1/8" shaft diameter will have a 3" or 4-1/4" shaft
A 1" shaft diameter will have a 3-5/32" shaft
Companies like Small Engine Suppliers, Small Engine Warehouse, Repower will all tell you what the EXACT replacement is all of the common USA brands , and they al have the full specifications of the engines on their web page .
The hard part will be getting the stack pulley as most ZTR's will run an electric PTO
SO ferret around & see what is available in pulleys first then get an engine to match.
There is 5/8 of SFA difference in the engines that have a 1" ( residential size ) or 1-1/8" ( commercial size ) Cranks internally apart from the actual size of the crankshaft

Barnpoppy

Threads
Go to the Dixie Chopper web page and download your parts manual
Check the part number of your old engine stack pulley to the current one
With luck they will be the same
As for shaft length 99% are the same on mowers because the mower companies do not want to be forced to buy in different pulleys for each of the alternative engines offered new and they are the ones who specify the crankshaft end , not the engine company .
So a 1-1/8" shaft diameter will have a 3" or 4-1/4" shaft
A 1" shaft diameter will have a 3-5/32" shaft
Companies like Small Engine Suppliers, Small Engine Warehouse, Repower will all tell you what the EXACT replacement is all of the common USA brands , and they al have the full specifications of the engines on their web page .
The hard part will be getting the stack pulley as most ZTR's will run an electric PTO
SO ferret around & see what is available in pulleys first then get an engine to match.
There is 5/8 of SFA difference in the engines that have a 1" ( residential size ) or 1-1/8" ( commercial size ) Cranks internally apart from the actual size of the crankshaft
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I just need to drop the motor in with a pulley and hook up the belts and it will be good to go. Dixie Chopper Parts Distributors shows a 5” x 6” x 11/8” split pulley on their site. I believe that’s what I need if they have it. If I can get that pulley then all I will need is to figure out the wiring and fabricate an oil cooler bracket. Do you know if I can get a pigtail type adapter to go from the Generac wiring to Kawasaki?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pulley part no. is 9907500X600D $225.30. Dixie Chopper makes a kit to replace the generac with a 36 HP Briggs Vanguard but the kit is over $3000.00 Crank shaft is 1-1/8". I believe x 3-5/32". It includes the muffler, engine pulley, wiring jumper harness, oil cooler mounting bracket. The Vanguard is an awesome engine. Have installed several of them on the older D/C and have not had one problem. FXT00V-(J)S00-S 35.0 Shift starter 15 Amp charging system $3,154.14 1- 1/8" x 3- 15/16" Crankshaft Does not include the muffler or any other parts you would need. I can get you the info on the Briggs if interested.

Barnpoppy

Threads
Pulley part no. is 9907500X600D $225.30. Dixie Chopper makes a kit to replace the generac with a 36 HP Briggs Vanguard but the kit is over $3000.00 Crank shaft is 1-1/8". I believe x 3-5/32". It includes the muffler, engine pulley, wiring jumper harness, oil cooler mounting bracket. The Vanguard is an awesome engine. Have installed several of them on the older D/C and have not had one problem. FXT00V-(J)S00-S 35.0 Shift starter 15 Amp charging system $3,154.14 1- 1/8" x 3- 15/16" Crankshaft Does not include the muffler or any other parts you would need. I can get you the info on the Briggs if interested.
Definitely interested. The Kawasaki is going to run well over $3500 with pulley, muffler, etc. I had a Vangard on a 95 Grasshopper and it still runs. Please send the info and thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I just need to drop the motor in with a pulley and hook up the belts and it will be good to go. Dixie Chopper Parts Distributors shows a 5” x 6” x 11/8” split pulley on their site. I believe that’s what I need if they have it. If I can get that pulley then all I will need is to figure out the wiring and fabricate an oil cooler bracket. Do you know if I can get a pigtail type adapter to go from the Generac wiring to Kawasaki?

Unless a pigtail is offerred with the above kit, then no you can not get a pigtail.
They used to be made & I really do not understand why the places that sell superceeded engines don't have them made because most would happily pay over $ 100 for them.
I always recommend making up transfer loom and leaving the mowers wiring alone.
Apart from things like a charging indicator & low oil warning / shut off they are all wired the same but they all use different plugs & colour codes .
The actual plugs are available and some members here keep them in stock so if you ask they will sell you a set and if you ask nicely they will probably post the schematic but you might need to get 2 different wire crimpers.
Mufflers are unique to the mower and because of this are very expensive but in most cases the original can be modified to fit .
Check the stocks of the companies I listed in my previous reply as a superceeded / surplus engine is often 1/2 the price of an off the shelf one and also The Surplus Centre I have occasionally seen mower engines as cheap as 1/3 retail price .
And don't be prissy about the Hp as the new Hp's are around 10% to 20% lower than the old quoted Hp's as laws were changed to keep the suppliers almost honest + or - 5 Hp will make next to no difference apart from the bigger ones using more fuel .
I have probably swapped over 100 engines and nearly every time I installed a smaller one with the promise that "if the customer finds the small engine a problem I will replace it for no cost other than the difference in engine price"
Not a single customer has ever taken me up on the offer ( I can only get a small number of engines via my wholesalers ) .

Basically you are right but it is never a case of "just drop the engine in"
In most cases you have to adjust for things like mufflers, air filters, oil filters & of course the control cables .
Some times the engines will need to go in sideways to fit within the frame & occasionally you will need to drill a new mounting hole or two.
The FXT is not much cheaper but the FX921 is under $ 2000
You will not notice the 5 Hp difference apart from in your wallet .

Last edited:

Barnpoppy

Threads
I found a Yamaha 29 hp EFI , muffler included for $2500. Link is below. It’s used as a DC X Caliber replacement. I’m not sure how the muffler might fit on my XT 3200. I’ll check with the seller. Would this provide the necessary hp for xt3200 72” cut?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably but the EFI may be a problem to wire up
Some are easy, some require a specific engine management module which is usually part of the hour meter .
The engines I linked to are carb engines along the KISS principle
Also Yamaha mower engines have a bad wrap
I can not comment , never having touched one but there has been a lot of people complaining about them
Apart from some rocker problems because the dealer did not do the proper inital first service I have not had any problems with the FX series engines
The FS / FR have a rubbish air filter connection that can leak if not carefully tightened .

Barnpoppy

Threads
I think I’ll go with the FX921V once I find a split pulley for it. I’ll also have to check out how I will install the muffler. I’m hoping the standard Kawasaki muffler DC part #600558 will work. I’ll post back later on progress.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has the same diameter shaft the rest does not matter as they drive via the key way all the bolt does is stop the pulley falling off.
So if it is too long you can cut it off and if it is too short then you can put a packing piece inside the pulley .
There are ways around everything
And yes at that price I would go with the 921 too .
Just don't dally around as with all surplus engines there is a limited supply .
At the worst you might have to go a bit slower in grass that is 2' tall or mowing wet grass in the rain.
Not too many engines in the + 30 Hp range on the surplus sites