Deck Belt Won't Stay On XT1 46"

DGillen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've seen this asked about but this has become beyond frustrating. The belt will not stay on and it's been being an issue since I bought it new. I put a new belt on last year and it still started jumping off again after just a couple of uses. That can't be normal. I had figured out that if I started and stopped the blades with the deck raised up it would go longer without jumping off but now that's not helping anymore. I'm going to buy another new Cub Cadet belt today and hopefully get it installed before the rain comes in. Is there anything you guys can suggest to stop this from happening? The belt guides are in place but it jumps off of the blade pulley and I have to remove the guard to put it back on. Also, there seems to ve excessive slack in the belt even when new and I've made sure the front hanger is in the correct location on the mount. Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect something is out of alignment. Like a belt tension arm running at an angle causing the belt to run at the top of the idler pulley, and then gets flipped off when the deck is lowered. I would lower the deck all the way down, and then look at the belt as it goes on every pulley and see if one of the pulleys isn't running true to the belt.

cruzenmike

Threads
You might also check that the belt appears to be under sufficient tension from the idler spring. Also check that the deck is level.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How long have you had the mower ?
there was an upgrade to some CC decks a long while ago
They fitted bigger idlers with bigger flanges and changed the height of the fixed idler from memory ( which is never totally reliable ) .
You really need to get down on your knees and watch the belt to see where it is jumping off.
It does not take much, a slight warp, a little twist is a lip or a pivot that is not true to the deck will cause a belt to jump off as well as the other things menioned,
At times I have resorted to putting a Go-Pro under the deck while mowing to find the problem .

DGillen

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might also check that the belt appears to be under sufficient tension from the idler spring. Also check that the deck is level.

There's definitely an issue with that when disengaged in my opinion. The belt doesn't stay in contact with the tension/idler pulley. It jumps off when engaging the drive so that's the area I'm focusing on.

DGillen

Forum Newbie
Threads
How long have you had the mower ?
there was an upgrade to some CC decks a long while ago
They fitted bigger idlers with bigger flanges and changed the height of the fixed idler from memory ( which is never totally reliable ) .
You really need to get down on your knees and watch the belt to see where it is jumping off.
It does not take much, a slight warp, a little twist is a lip or a pivot that is not true to the deck will cause a belt to jump off as well as the other things menioned,
At times I have resorted to putting a Go-Pro under the deck while mowing to find the problem .

This is the 3rd or 4th season I've had it.

TJGlake

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the 3rd or 4th season I've had it.
Hello, I'm new to this thread and hope someone can help and figure this out. My 2016 XT1 46" is also throwing the deck belt. Not all the time, started doing this last year. I've looked at it and seems the belt is too long? Thereis no adjustment for the tensioner. I have replaced the belt with a OEM belt and still looks too long. Is it possible the pulley brakes are worn and allowng the extra distance? I'm know I'm reaching here but this is frustrating. I've talked with Cub Cadet (CC) and they were of no help. They told me they did't know of any issues with the lawn tractors that would be causing the belt to come off. I figure it can't just be me having this issue. What has helped somewhat is slowly engaging or disengaging deck with the throttle at the lowest speed. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!
JG