CV740 rpm drop

smalltimerpm

Threads
Having issues with rpms dropping under a load. It runs great but it is sluggish getting up to high idle. It runs great and doesn't miss. Once I move forward or backwards the rpms will drop dramatically and pick back up. It gets worse with pto engaged.
I've pulled each plug wire off while running but both have same effect and it almost dies... if not does die out. I haven't put a compression gauge on it I just did the old blow the thumb off the hole trick. It seemed to have good compression. I've been thru the carb, even replaced it with one I know works great. Has good fuel flow. The spring travel seems to be the same on all valves but the lifters are hydraulic. Any help would be great. Also the motor does have about 940 hours on it and not sure if it's been gone through or not.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the spec. number?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it has a manual choke try adding some choke when it bogs down. If it does carb problem. Try NEW spark plugs. If you have 2 inline neon testers install them and see if there is any spark miss under a load. The neon testers won't show a bad plug, just a bad coil.

smalltimerpm

Threads
Ok I'll give it a try. Oh I also forgot mention it does seem sluggish. It acts like it is out of time but it isn't sputtering or missing

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the exhaust pipes and see if one feels hotter than the other
A twin running on one cylinder will do what yours is doing .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Intake manifold gasket blown?

smalltimerpm

Threads
Check the exhaust pipes and see if one feels hotter than the other
A twin running on one cylinder will do what yours is doing .
Oh Bert! Your a very smart person and some would learn a lot of information you have to offer! I'll touch it and see what happens.

smalltimerpm

Threads
I'm gonna try to pull the lifters and see what the cam looks like the best I can without tearing down the motor. I'm leaning more towards cam or timing but I'm not really sure.

Last edited: