Cub Cadet XT2 LX46 PTO will not engage

cturboaddict

Threads
Hey all, looking for some help here. My 3 year old (one month past warranty) XT2@ Lx46 fab deck just stopped on me.
Last week I mowed, just fine. Today, went out to pull it out of the garage and mow the lawn. When I went to engage the blades..... NOTHING.
I should add, that this is technically a 2016 model. And I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Pulled switch off, functioning properly from what I see. 4 prongs, normally closed (2 pairs). Engage Switch no continuity on the two pairs.
Pulled off PTO clutch, activated with jumpers from 12 v and magnet engaged.
Checked power at two prong connector with PTO clutch removed. I'm getting .5V with the switch engaged.

So, I know it's not the switch, and I know it's not the PTO clutch.
Is there a fuse or relay somewhere? .5V at the PTO clutch connector seems a bit low?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

cturboaddict

Threads
Anyone? I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere online.
Is there a fuse or Relay somewhere?

gsim

Threads
Hey all, looking for some help here. My 3 year old (one month past warranty) XT2@ Lx46 fab deck just stopped on me.
Last week I mowed, just fine. Today, went out to pull it out of the garage and mow the lawn. When I went to engage the blades..... NOTHING.
I should add, that this is technically a 2016 model. And I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Pulled switch off, functioning properly from what I see. 4 prongs, normally closed (2 pairs). Engage Switch no continuity on the two pairs.
Pulled off PTO clutch, activated with jumpers from 12 v and magnet engaged.
Checked power at two prong connector with PTO clutch removed. I'm getting .5V with the switch engaged.

So, I know it's not the switch, and I know it's not the PTO clutch.
Is there a fuse or relay somewhere? .5V at the PTO clutch connector seems a bit low?

Any help is appreciated!
Been there with my GH 930D mower. 1st time was 'E' relay, which the PTO switch engages to turn on the clutch. 2nd time was PTO switch itself. Locate relay rack (likely several relays on newer mowers. Mine is '09 and has 5 relays under operator RH fender) Turn ig switch 'ON' then operate PTO swi and listen for click. Or have someone put fingertip on each relay as you repeat the test. They will be able to feel the click. Another thing to check is that the deadman switch beneath the seat is working. Loose push on connectors can give you a fit. Guessing here that PTO clutch relay has dirty contacts, delivering low voltage to clutch. All PTO clutches are 12 v as far as I know. You definitely have a PTO relay because the PTO switches are not capable of delivering the usual 30 amps thru their housing and contacts. Relay dose that job, and most are 30 amp rated far as I know. Good luck.

cturboaddict

Threads
Been there with my GH 930D mower. 1st time was 'E' relay, which the PTO switch engages to turn on the clutch. 2nd time was PTO switch itself. Locate relay rack (likely several relays on newer mowers. Mine is '09 and has 5 relays under operator RH fender) Turn ig switch 'ON' then operate PTO swi and listen for click. Or have someone put fingertip on each relay as you repeat the test. They will be able to feel the click. Another thing to check is that the deadman switch beneath the seat is working. Loose push on connectors can give you a fit. Guessing here that PTO clutch relay has dirty contacts, delivering low voltage to clutch. All PTO clutches are 12 v as far as I know. You definitely have a PTO relay because the PTO switches are not capable of delivering the usual 30 amps thru their housing and contacts. Relay dose that job, and most are 30 amp rated far as I know. Good luck.
Going to go look now. I guess that's the hardest part is finding the silly relay. I can't find a wiring schematic anywhere.
I'll look under the fenders too.

Not really sure how to turn the switch to "ON" without the engine running. It's an electric push button start.

cturboaddict

Threads
Thanks for the tip though, I'm sure it's electrical related based on what I've done thus far.

cturboaddict

Threads
so, looking everywhere I can only find 1 relay. I can actuate it on the bench and it clicks. I don't hear it click when its hooked up though.

gsim

Threads
so, looking everywhere I can only find 1 relay. I can actuate it on the bench and it clicks. I don't hear it click when its hooked up though.
Maybe a fuse. Or may be PTO switch itself. Voltmeter will give you direction. PTO switch usually relays 12 V DC to PTO relay, which sends it to clutch. However, PTO switch might just send a ground to the PTO relay to operate it. Manufacturer can do it either way. If done this way, then 12 VDC would be present on relay all of the time. Still could be fuse tho. I've even had case where I had to remove and replace fuse due to oxidation in terminals.

cturboaddict

Threads
I pulled the switch and noted that the two prongs show continuity when the switch is in the off position, and then open when switch is activated.
I can only find ONE fuse, and it's located on the top of the battery. It's good.

gsim

Threads
I pulled the switch and noted that the two prongs show continuity when the switch is in the off position, and then open when switch is activated.
I can only find ONE fuse, and it's located on the top of the battery. It's good.
I'm stumped.

cturboaddict

Threads
I'm stumped.
Lol, me too.

I just jumped 12v (from supplemental battery) into the back of the harness at the clutch. Clutch/blades engaged.

I jumped 12v into the back of the switch, clutch/blades engaged.

But I do t have 12v at the switch on any of the 4 prongs.

I really wish I had a wiring diagram.