Repairs Cub Cadet model 2166 Starts then Dies (Second Post for this mower)

gspald

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet model 2166 Starts then Dies (Second Post for this mower)
:confused2: Hi guys,
I have a Cub Cadet model 2166 (13A214G100) with Kohler 16hp engine Model CH168 426cc. I thought I had my problem solved with this mower. It ran fine for about 15-30 minutes then quit again. The engine will start and die as soon as you let go of ignition switch.

I'll tell you what troubleshooting I have already done. Verified problem is not fuel related. Looked for bad connections/wiring shorts. Replaced Ignition Coil and the short wiring harness from mower to engine (part 629-3072A called wire harness SAM). Tested Ignition Switch by borrowing switch from a similar Cub Cadet. I cleaned the contact point where the flywheel passes the ignition coil. Also following a troubleshooting guide, I cut the yellow wire on the original short wire harness going to the engine. I noted the yellow wire went to a white wire on the engine connector. If I understood the troubleshooting guide this white wire would stop any "kill switches" from being activated. I tested the spark by removing the spark plug from the engine and laying the plug on top of the engine. Could not test strength of spark but did verify arc in plug gap. Again engine turns over starts then dies. After all this testing battery was getting week so I used Jumper Cables running from another mower to provide required volts and amps.

From everything I have read the only thing left to do would be to replace the SAM unit or the Relay connected to that short wire harness. I don't have the equipment to test the SAM unit. Is there anyway to test that Relay and can any of you tell me any other troubleshooting measures to take. I am stumped! :thumbdown: :anyone:

Lawn Addict
Threads
(bump) hopefully someone will chime in with some answers for you..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the fuel solenoid on the carb is clicking when you turn on the key. Could be a problem with it loosing power when going to the run position on the keyswitch. or it is shorting out and closing shortly after starting. the other thing is possibly a bad oil pressure switch, which will allow the engine to start but will shut it down with 5 seconds of releasing the key.

gspald

Threads
:smile: Thank you ILENGINE. Fuel Solenoid was my first suspect. I will check that out again to make certain there are no problems with it. Would you tell me how to check out the oil pressure light? Should I just short the two wires together or keep them seperated (ie: closed or open if I understand correctly). Also do you think the SAM or the RELAY could be the problem? If so is there anyway to test the RELAY with a multimeter? I understand the SAM can only be tested with a special tool.

Please stay with me until I get this critter going again. I really appreciate you and other folks taking your time to help me!

Allok65

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so I’m having the same problem as long as you hold the key to start it will stay running but as soon as you let go it shuts down I do hear a click when I turn the key so I guess the fuel solenoid is working ? Any help would be greatly appreciate

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

See page 100 Seat Safety Switch, test switch, replace if faulty.

Suggestion: purchase CUB CADET OEM parts, not cheap knock-offs.

Last edited: