Cub Cadet 2166 with 16 hp Kohler engine / FUEL BOWL ACUTATOR

gspald

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet 2166 with 16 hp Kohler engine / FUEL BOWL ACUTATOR
:confused2: Problems with lawn tractor fuel bowl acutator. Believed to be an electrical problem. For some time know I have had a off and on problem with the fuel bowl not filling with gas. Sometimes I could wiggle the red wire going to the bowl acutator to solve the problem. This must be a short in the wiring somewhere. I have un-taped the wiring back to the main harness and not found a short. I did note two red wires, with what appeared to be in-line fuse links, going into one red wire terminating at the acutator. I added a jumper wire before the two red wires ending just before the wire going into the acutator. Seems like the engine still wants to stall but a little choke resolves the issue. Could my "jumper wire" cause any problem and does anyone else have a better suggestion for a better fix?

Thanks gspald (new forum member) ****PLEASE HELP**** :confused2:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Contrary to what a lot of people think, The actuator as you call it is actually called an afterfire solenoid, and has absolutely nothing to do with filling the fuel bowl.. It's single purpose it to help prevent the bang after shutting off the key. On Kohler should be done at half to full throttle. The carb filling problem is either a fuel pump problem, and restriction in the fuel tank, fuel line, or something of that nature.

You can remove the solenoid, and clip the plunger off, replace the solenoid, or you possibly have a bad connection that is causing an intermittent problem.

gspald

Threads
Re: Cub Cadet 2166 with 16 hp Kohler engine / dies after start-up

:confused2: Still having problems with Cub 2166. Engine starts cold with choke but dies right after start. Have checked fuel system without locating any problem. Fuel pump working fine. Fuel lines all way from tank to carb inlet are clear. Begining to question Ignition Switch. Believe I have seen similar problems posted with bad Ignition Switches as the culprit. (May have even replaced mine several years ago. Old age, just can't remember for sure.) If indeed this could be my problem can anyone tell me how I could use a "jumper wire" to verify before buying a new switch?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Need model number

gspald

Threads
Re: Cub Cadet 2166 with 16 hp Kohler engine / DIES AFTER START

Mower is a 2166 model. I believe it is a 2002 or 03 model. The engine is a Kohler Command OHV 16hp, 426cc's, Model CH16S, Spec number 45509, Serial number 3209211461. I have checked fuel flow from tank to carburetor without any problem. Fuel pump works fine.

Mower will start briefly with full choke then die as soon as ignition switch is released. Problem is not with choke. Suspect ignition switch. Before replaceing switch can I jump between two wires on ignition switch without any harm. Wiring is as follows:

Yellow----> _ _ <---- Blue
Red------> _ _ <--- Red/white
Orange/Blk---> _

Green (ground) ---> ( _ )

I have chart that shows Red and Red/White wires should be RUN position. I plan to jump these two wires together.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow, I see a bunch of posts on the same mower, and they are all over the place!!! Stop starting new threads, and maybe we all can get together and help you.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your engine has a funky ignition system, you might look there first.

Coil

gspald

Threads
I will get back with you on COIL. Will need to disassemble to reach coil.

Deerlane

Threads
Your 2166 Kohler has a SAM module on. It also has a diode in the harness. If you hold your key to start will your engine stay running??
I remember this because I lost 80% of my hearing in my left ear with this #&%! tractor. Not your problem, but it was a starting issue.