Cub 618-0319 trans

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is on a cub 1046. At first, it's very whiny. But after a minute or less of traveling, the noise gets less and less. So I'm thinking (hoping) it's just low of fluid. This is a mower with the gas tank on top of the trans.

Please don't go through a lot of trouble looking up stuff, but off the top of your head, is it easy enough to just add a little fluid? And what type of fluid. I have a pump with small hoses on each end, I use to do oil changes with, that i can use to add fluid.

BTW, there's no slipping. Just starts off slow when it's cold and is very noisy at first. After running it, the whine is still there. Just not near as loud.

AVB

Threads
There should a metal plug over the ring gear section that is the fill/ drain port. Don't forget to for leaks especially axle seals.

Oil is 20W50 total volume is 76.3 oz. per the IPL for the 618-0319. This provide you have the Hydro Gear 310-0510 and not the Tuff Torq version which would the K46 series.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
There should a metal plug over the ring gear section that is the fill/ drain port. Don't forget to for leaks especially axle seals.

Oil is 20W50 total volume is 76.3 oz. per the IPL for the 618-0319.

Thanks for the info.
That's just conventional motor oil?

AVB

Threads
Well I would use Rotella or synthetic but yes it SAE motor.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Updatell on this.

The transfer full. And thick. Too thick for my little 12v pump to suck it out in this century.
And funny thing, it's not dirty.

Belt and pulleys all look good. (I just replaced them last year)

Maybe it's just real cold natured. It was cold the last few days. But it's been doing this for a month or so. Just not near as load. I guess the cold days just makes it worse.

AVB

Threads
Depend on what you called cold. There is fine nylon mesh filter on these and the oil may just simply too thick to flow through it as it should. SAE 20w50 does get fairly thick when cold. If this isn't it then it time for the center section to be replaced or a new transaxle.
HG-70756.jpg

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depend on what you called cold. There is fine nylon mesh filter on these and the oil may just simply too thick to flow through it as it should. SAE 20w50 does get fairly thick when cold. If this isn't it then it time for the center section to be replaced or a new transaxle.
View attachment 50708

It was about freezing this morning. This afternoon, when I was putting everything up, it was probably about 40f. Or a little below. By the time ou go about 30yds, most of the noise is about gone. Although it never completely goes away. Never has since I got it used late last year. The mower is at least 10yr old.

BTW, I can see how the oil would not flow very well in freezing temps.

When I was young,I put a bottle of Mobil 1 synthetic, 10w 30 in the freezer one night. The next day, it barely poured out of the bottle. The warmer it got, the faster it poured.